Russian SMGs - Not Enough Ammo !?

True. Played around a bit with SMG squads, they are perfect shock troops, but the ammo load is a bit of an issue. I came to the conclusion, that you need rifle armed squads to be the backbone of an attack and only assault with the SMG heavy squads. They are good for something like 2-3 assaults (and firefights after). I also give them covered arcs of only 40m or so, just so that they do not fire while Advancing (for example) and save their ammo for the assault (I usually remove the arcs at this point, so that they can fire a bit further while assaulting). Supressive fire is the key to a successful assault.

On the defence SMG squads are lethal, but their ammo load limits their usefulness, IMHO.

There have been many conversations about SMG squads and their light ammo loads. IIRC the ammo load was found realistic. And if I got this right, 1 "point" of ammo on SMG squads mean 1 burst (consuming more ammo faster than standard rifle fire) and so the clips get empty a tad bit faster than a rifle squad runs out of ammocombs (or whatever). Ie. they carry the same amount of ammo, only consume it differently. IMO the ammo amount is just right, enough to be useful when used correctly but if used the wrong way or in the wrong place, you can end up with 12 man strong squad 300m from the nearest enemy and LOW on ammo.

Whether you think the ammo load to be just enough or lacking depends so much on your playing style. This said, the SMG squads use their ammo pretty darn fast no matter how you play, when the firefightr starts at point blank range ;) just have to keep them in check a bit more carefully then ;)

Had a SMG platoon embark on T-34's, crashed through german line FAST and disembarked. Turned the wagons around and let the SMG squad close range FP and T-34 canister shots do the rest. Mopped up with rifle infantry and support weapons. Then repeated. Wonderful troops ;)

I think that the ammo change came from some discussions on the CMBO board; the conclusion was that SMGs had too many "shots" given their high rate of fire and the amount of ammo they carried with them. The new limits seem much more realistic to me; it also explains why all nationalities didn't convert to SMG only squads.

The converse of the SMG squads is the all-rifle-armed Soviet Recon Squads, with 63 ammo points.

The key to controlling your SMG's ammo expenditure, if it's a problem, is to use the covered arc command: set it to 180 degrees, but put the distance out to only 50 or 70 meters. This should take care of the problem of wasting ammo on low odds long-range shots, if that's a problem.

(For me that's only really been a problem with MGs; gradually bringing the range in is a good way to save ammo).

The problem with allowing troops to run out of ammo to soon is that people will no longer select them and the game becomes a replay of the previous game as people select the same troops over and over.... BORING..

Gotta factor in everything!

Originally posted by Voxman:

The problem with allowing troops to run out of ammo to soon is that people will no longer select them and the game becomes a replay of the previous game as people select the same troops over and over.... BORING..

But if you has SMG squads which are both massively effective and have lots of ammo people would use them exclusively.. boring ;)

Originally posted by Voxman:

Well, it would be equally boring, IMHO, to have the units all equal. Then you'd see whatever people wanted to bring to the game, but there'd be little point.

As it is now, if I've got the points I'll often buy a platoon or two of SMGs for each rifle company. The SMGs follow on to provide awesome close range firepower against targets the rifle squads find.

Originally posted by Foxbat:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Voxman:

But if you has SMG squads which are both massively effective and have lots of ammo people would use them exclusively.. boring ;) </font>