Newbie: Operation repair

M113

If you capture the area where enemy tanks are knocked out they don't get to try and repair them right?

If so it's a waste of time to try to start them on fire?

What if the enemy recaptures that area in a later battle?

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Huh? "Start them on fire." I seen some Italian fellers in NY start their cars on fire. Once a tank is knocked out, it is out. End of tank. Doesn't matter who controls the area from then on.

I believe someone mentioned once that in an operation, if the tank is only abandoned and now "brewed up" the side that lost it has a chance to recover it for the next battle. That's what the original poster is referring to.

Anyone confirm?

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Ah, now it makes sense. Okay, then the guy is right. Cept, might be better depending on several factors, to use a heavy vehicle to shove it into woods or an otherwise non-accesable terrain.

Like the top of a really tall tree?

Did some tests with operations (in CMBO, so there might be some differences in CMBB). Only burning or burnt out vehicles can´t be recovered. If a vehicle is only abandoned or knocked out, there is a chance that it is repaired. Vehicles which were aflame will stop burning in the following battles and a "knocked out" will be displayed, but they are burnt out and so they will never be recovered (at least not in the scale of a CM operation).

Recovery seems only to take place after the last battle before nightfall. Vehicles which got immobile during the last battle before nightfall will (maybe?) be repaired on the spot (maybe it´s the same with damaged guns). Vehicles which get immobile in other battles will be abandoned after the battle and have to be recovered to be repaired.

If there is no nightfall at all, no vehicle will be recovered, no matter how good the R&R rating is.

Oh, and in CMBO you can see if a vehicle was repaired and returned from the missing unit number (e.g. A-3).

[ December 19, 2002, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

Read the bottem of page 47 of the manual. It talks about vehicles and guns being recovered at nightfall.

My question is, if you control the area of the KO/abandoned tank [say as germans] does the enemy get to recover the KO'ed vehicle [T-34, ect.] ?

You are right with the manual. (In parts literally) The same is in the CMBO manual. Would have saved me quite some time if I had known this before... :rolleyes:

Vehicles can only be recovered in controlled areas. It´s not necessary that you control the area if you want to prevent your opponent to reclaim and repair, it´s sufficient if the area is neutral. But as long as the vehicles haven´t brewed up, there is a chance that they can be recovered later, when the area will be controlled by your opponent then.

[ December 20, 2002, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]