Assault Boats with motors?

Don't have the game yet, but I take it that "assault" boats still are paddle-handled, making any real-life combat river crossing impossible to present? I wonder why outboard motors are impossible to implement. It's not like they were never used, esp. in comparison to row boats, in actual assaults.

Ah. . . .

Brings to mind the scene in A Bridge Too Far where Robert Redford is crossing the river at Nijmegen with his fellow airborne buddies. Didn't they later call that "Little D-Day" or something? er. . . . somefink. . . :rolleyes:

"Hail Mary, full of grace. Hail Mary, full of grace. Hail Mary, full of grace. . . ."

Originally posted by Talenn:

To quote Robert Redford aka Major Cook...

"Well what did ya expect? Destroyers?"

:D

Hey that's a good idea, there's already off-board naval bombardments available. Now just get 'em on-board... well, maybe not, because that would require handling of multiple turrets.

Still, I have never, ever, heard of Finnish Army assaulting across a lake with rowing boats. That would be a suicide if resistance was to be expected, so I wonder what is the point with having the "assault" boats at all in the game? And why are Überfinns not allowed to swim across lakes:

vesi4a.jpg

Originally posted by IronChef4:

Ah. . . .

Brings to mind the scene in A Bridge Too Far where Robert Redford is crossing the river at Nijmegen with his fellow airborne buddies. Didn't they later call that "Little D-Day" or something? er. . . . somefink. . . :rolleyes:

"Hail Mary, full of grace. Hail Mary, full of grace. Hail Mary, full of grace. . . ."

Great movie. After I found it, I kept the unit picture as Sean Connery for the British Airborne. They never lost after that smile.gif

Chad

From the pictures: Is that a self rescue type training set up or water crossing practice?

I sure hope it's the former, because if you are crossing on purpose you'd be better bagging your clothes, crossing nekkid and putting on the dry clothes on the other side. Of course the Finnish army knows way more about cold weather than I do, and that's no joke.

Looks freaking cold.

Gyrene

Back to the original topic. (It was getting too cold in here . . . ) smile.gif

Actually, the assault boats in CMBO *DO* have motors. (And a crew of 1.)

If you click on the AB unit and hit return you'll see the stats for the vehicle that describes all that.

I could never figure out why (according to the stats) the single crewman could not turn the boat around and motor back to the opposite shore and pick up more troopers.

smile.gif

Gpig