Buying tanks/vehicles in CMBB...

Well, I was reading the topic "CMBB--New proposal for rarity system" nad when Dan aka "KwazyDog" was telling us his example while playing a CMBB game I realized that his force selection wasn´t bought in platoons or sections at all, and I got a bit confused.

Well, I know that tank platoon C&C will be modelled in CMBB, and I thought that you had to buy tanks in platoons, my questions are:

1.-Which formations can you buy of tanks (sections, platoons, companies, battalions?) with it´s respective HQ and support troops or without them.

2.-Are u obligated to buy tanks in formations? Or can you buy them alone too? If you can buy them alone, how is the C&C modelled, and there is any out-of-ROC penalties? (will them be attached to the nearer HQ unit, like happens now in CMBO with the support units like guns, MGs, zooks, etc?)

3.-There will be an option like "buying tanks/vehicles in formations obligated" within the rarity system or without it? if not it would be cool at elat for historical and/or grog type battles.

just some quick questions. and still waiting for

smile.gif

1. You can only buy platoons. Even companies would be beyond the average battle budget smile.gif Platoons means usually anything between 2 and 5 tanks, depending on TO&Es (largely).

2. You are not obligated to buy formations, you can also buy individual tanks as usual. These tanks are marked "independent" and are always considered in command, just like the CMBO tanks currently.

3. No. It's your free choice.

PS. Oh, and I should add that an independent tank is more expensive than the same tank when bought as part of a platoon. So there is an incentive to be historical...

[ June 17, 2002, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Moon ]

Originally posted by Gen-x87H:

How many tanks in an Armored division?

Late war German division: Just above 100, if at reasonable strength.

(Six companies with 14 tanks each, plus battalion and regimental troops.)

It's the armoured infantry that really make the unit counter skyrocket...

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by Moon:

1. ... Even companies would be beyond the average battle budget...

But I want a KV-1 company! :(

(Two platoons of two tanks plus company command tank, five tanks in total.) 'Guess I'll have to settle with two platoons and one "independant" KV-1 then... tongue.gif

Cheers

Olle

Exactly Olle.

This brings up a question, of course ;)

Obviously then there's no equivalent of the co-co for the infantry. But that might not be so big a deal. What I'm more curious about is, how do I (who knows very little about the eastern front) know what to purchase to get, say, a company of KV-1s? Will it be a matter of asking on the board?

Originally posted by Cameroon:

What I'm more curious about is, how do I (who knows very little about the eastern front) know what to purchase to get, say, a company of KV-1s? Will it be a matter of asking on the board?

You want this. Or wait until Battlefront carries more books.

thanks for all the info Moon, however I think companies would be cool. But I can wait for the next game and the more flexible "buying" system.

Anyway there is no Coy C&C and out-of-ROC penalties so there isn´t any point in including them. because, there isn´t C&C at Coy level, no?

even for inf? it would be cool! plz if u can anwer this question i will be the most happy person in this world for 5 min :D

PS. Oh, and I should add that an independent tank is more expensive than the same tank when bought as part of a platoon. So there is an incentive to be historical...

Dear god please tell me it will still be an option to buy individual tanks at a reasonable price if the rarity setting is not used.

Thanks.

PS: Moon- Are we going to be able to use all of the units that are currently in CMBO as well? Yes, yes the grogs are going to probably flame me but it would be great for what if type games.

PPS: Are we going to be able to fight Axis vs Axis, Russia vs Russia, etc? I have not seen this mentioned in quite some time. Yeah, the grogs are going to have fit over that but it would be the ultimate for ladder games. No more whinning about VT, SMG, etc. I hope we can mix and match from all sides if we want.

Thanks

Originally posted by Black Five:

.....Dear god please tell me it will still be an option to buy individual tanks at a reasonable price if the rarity setting is not used.

Buying vehicles by the platoon will be cheaper than buying the same vehicles a-la-carte. You can think of it as a discount for platoon purchase or a penalty for individual vehicles/cherrypicking. I don't know what the price difference will be and have no idea what you think is reasonable.

...Are we going to be able to use all of the units that are currently in CMBO as well? Yes, yes the grogs are going to probably flame me but it would be great for what if type games.

PPS: Are we going to be able to fight Axis vs Axis, Russia vs Russia, etc? I have not seen this mentioned in quite some time. Yeah, the grogs are going to have fit over that but it would be the ultimate for ladder games. No more whinning about VT, SMG, etc. I hope we can mix and match from all sides if we want.

These have both been gone over many times and the answer has ALWAYS been NO.

If it didn't happen in this part of WWII, it won't happen in the game. They have mentioned that that is their desire, and on top of that, the codin involved wasn't worth it to them. I'd be surprised if you even saw Axis vs Axis and things like that after the engine rewrite, but I agree it could be fun.

Just don't get too upset if they haven't changed their mind over the last few months.

Exactly Olle.

The independant vehicle won't be a commander, though, right? That is to say, if a platoon leader's vehicle is eliminated, the "company commander" vehicle is just another vehicle, not a headquarters that can step in and take charge, in this situation.

Are platoon leader vehicles linked to their platoon vehicles as infantry platoon headquarters are linked to their squads? If not, scenario designers have an easy "company headquarters" workaround-- just add another platoon headquarters vehicle (deleting the rest of the vehicles in its platoon) and it can step in when one of the platoon leaders is knocked out.

Would that work? Or can vehicles only have one HQ?

Scott

2. You are not obligated to buy formations, you can also buy individual tanks as usual. These tanks are marked "independent" and are always considered in command, just like the CMBO tanks currently.

Now I am the type who would prefer Command Control as tough as possible. So you know what I will be asking next: Why not making independent tanks be never in command, instead of always? smile.gif Wouldn´t that be realistic, as well as punishing the cherry-pickers?