Help with scenario AI

Hi guys

I've been working on a scenario and its almost done. It entails a German attack on an attritted US tank company holed up in a small town behind a railway embankment. The Germans, who are at roughly reinforced battalion strength, absolutely refuse to attack the Americans. Oh sure, they'll send one or two tanks over one at a time and they may last for about five seconds upon reaching the railroad tracks, but for the most part the Germans just keep 500m away from that embankment.

I had one Panzer IV get in and wreak havoc among the defenders, leaving me with two operational US tanks, and STILL the Germans didn't come over in force.

This is a battle, not an operation. Of the seven victory flags, only one (a large one) is outside of the town. The Americans are not that strong - why won't the Germans attack??

Although the AI typically performs poorly in the role of the attacker, you may find it helpful to "leave a trail of breadcrumbs".

Either use some of the victory flags you already have, or add a few more small ones. Set them in a line (no more than a couple hundred meters apart) along the most likely avenue of German advance.

This creates a trail for them to follow to the major objective flags. I've found this greatly increases the chance of convincing the AI enemy to advance in force.

Try it and see if it helps.

I like the bread crumb trick, the other way is to reverse edge assignment of map... This will make AI think Allied side of Map is Home.. AI tends to defend its home turf, or attack anythng near it too...

Also sometimes if playing AI (AXIS) you might want to try it were AXIS(AI) is Free to set up its own units, this somtimes stimulates AI too in a little more agressive stature...

Michael "Gonzo" Gonzalez

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GonzoAttacker:

I like the bread crumb trick, the other way is to reverse edge assignment of map... This will make AI think Allied side of Map is Home.. AI tends to defend its home turf, or attack anythng near it too...

Also sometimes if playing AI (AXIS) you might want to try it were AXIS(AI) is Free to set up its own units, this somtimes stimulates AI too in a little more agressive stature...

Michael "Gonzo" Gonzalez<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All good advice. Another thing to keep in mind is that the AI will look for covered routes in which to advance.

If it doesn't find them, it may decide to hunker down. I realize tanks won't advance through trees, but if you can figure out a way for some of the German advance to be screened from allied eyes, you may have better luck.

Agh - nothing worked yet. I tried baiting the AI with the victory flags, nothing changed. Changed the allied map edge to the Axis, nothing either.

This is CrAzY! The Germans have like thirty tanks - mostly Panthers as I'm trying to simulate a Panzer Brigade - including a handful of Tigers against M4A1s, M4A3s, M4A3 (76) Ws, and an M4 (105). And not even a full company's worth!

This is interesting, actually.

I've played a couple of scenarios where the A.I. refused to attack. It was pretty wierd.

In the first one, there was no real reason for the A.I. to wait in their starting blocks. But I spent 15 turns sneakin/hunting/moving up and around terrain, only to find the gemrans still at their starting positions. Sort of takes the excitement out of it. It was a meeting engagement in light bocage country.

In the other one, I handed the lead elements of the A.I.s assault force a MAJOR BUT SPANKING. Then the rest of his forces seemed brow beaten. Refusing to move forward to press the attack. (after 5 turns of waiting, I got to mount a fun couter-attack.)

I wonder if the A.I. can recognize a fruitless (high cost) attack, and decide NOT to attack? Maybe that's what is happening in your scenario?

Hmmmm. I wonder . . .

KFS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KnifeForkSpoon:

This is interesting, actually.

I've played a couple of scenarios where the A.I. refused to attack. It was pretty wierd.

In the first one, there was no real reason for the A.I. to wait in their starting blocks. But I spent 15 turns sneakin/hunting/moving up and around terrain, only to find the gemrans still at their starting positions. Sort of takes the excitement out of it. It was a meeting engagement in light bocage country.

In the other one, I handed the lead elements of the A.I.s assault force a MAJOR BUT SPANKING. Then the rest of his forces seemed brow beaten. Refusing to move forward to press the attack. (after 5 turns of waiting, I got to mount a fun couter-attack.)

I wonder if the A.I. can recognize a fruitless (high cost) attack, and decide NOT to attack? Maybe that's what is happening in your scenario?

Hmmmm. I wonder . . .

KFS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not a fruitless attack for the Germans, though. Especially if the American player does what he probably should do. I've managed to get half the American tanks killed from long range fire, and then had a single Mark IV make it into the town, killing off another two tanks. If the Germans had launched a serious attack, or even an attack with two more tanks, the Americans would have been done for. As it was, some thirty German tanks PLUS infantry just didn't feel like winning...

yes the woes of Computer AI, I found sometimes on defending make three sides friendly to the the attacker. I found this makes the attacker more agressive. I tired a no VL battle.. which came out with comical results, like a gravity well for tanks.. I played 20 round and could not figure out where the enemy was or more so DOING! :D

heres what I found out when I called for a cease fire.. stupid tankers. heh

AIconfusion.jpg