You want to know how tuff a T34 is?? read this

I recently read that all T-34 were equiped with a hammer because they could never get into high gear properly without hammering on the gear shaft...

Sorry if that is common knowledge around here. Read it in Strange and Facinating Facts of WWII, or something (fink?) like that.

Edit: Thanks for the link by the way. neat read.

[ November 26, 2002, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Baetis ]

Baetis,

I've heard this story many times here, but have never been able to determine the veracity of it. Was it a comment from a Soviet tanker back then, official Soviet history, comments from some german soldiers, or reference to a specific model/variant/prototype?

Starting this thing after six decades in a bog is indeed impressive and says volumes of the engineering of Soviet equipment. They may not have had a long life or been too refined, but within these limitations Soviet equipment was remarkably robust and dependable.

Grisha,

Starting this thing after six decades in a bog is indeed impressive and says volumes of the engineering of Soviet equipment.
Wish the same could be said for the team that recovered a StuGIII G now at the Patton Museum. They said "oh look, a hatch! What a great place to put our hook". Ripped off 1/4 of the superstructure top, which was not recovered later when the rest of the vehicle was pulled out.

BTW, a Panther was pulled out in pieces in Poland recently. It is now in the US being reassembled. Apparently the Germans demoed the vehicle on top of a bog on purpose. As a collector it is better to have parts of a Panther than no Panther at all smile.gif

Steve

I think I recall reading it somewhere that the entire hammer/T-34 story is based on hammers being found on the floors of T-34's, but that it has never actually been verified what they were used for (could be plenty of uses for a hammer in a tank, for all I know).

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Wish the same could be said for the team that recovered a StuGIII G now at the Patton Museum. They said "oh look, a hatch! What a great place to put our hook". Ripped off 1/4 of the superstructure top, which was not recovered later when the rest of the vehicle was pulled out.

Yikes!!! I bet the only bids those guys could get now for pulling things out of the ground are potatos in a field somewhere ;)

Actually it's more of a testament to the tolerances built into the machines to compensate for the crappy workmanship. They had to design them with all the parts fitting loosely so that if Ivan's lathe was 6mm off they could still put the tank together and it would run fine. A side effect was that these things were damn hard to break, kinda like the AK or the M3 sub gun, thing shakes like a rattle but it'll keep firing half rusted, underwater, and full of sand. (Ok that might be an exaggeration but you get the idea.)