While answering a note from Andreas on PBEM scenarios, a thought occurred to me and I wanted to share it.

Have you fought any battles or operations that you just had to play again? Have any of the battles you've fought earned a "repeat" status?

You don't find those often. But they do happen, and like that old war movie where you know every line in it, but still watch it when you can, I'll bet there is a scenario or two that are on your, "I'll do this one again" list.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

I've only played a few so far. I think balance is very player dependent though--one person might have a hard time where another can consistently roll over the enemy.

Night at Cheneux definitely has a lot of replay value. My first (and only time through) the German player made some mistakes with his vehicles early, but then recovered and had me stopped cold for a while. Thought it would be a rout, ended up with a tactical victory, and don't think I had more than a squad or two that was better than half strength.

Ham and Jam may be a replayer too, esp as the Germans, because it looks *really* hard. I'm getting routed pretty quickly. All I can see is damn british bullseyes everywhere, but the real bullseyes are painted on my troops backs!

Move it or Lose it is probably a replayer-- lots of stuff on both sides.

Both of these were done by very experienced and qualified designers. Dick "Warmeister" Reece did Ham and Jam. Darwin "White Rook" Barnes was the author of Move it or Lose it.

I tested both of them and enjoyed both of them. Move it or Lose it I tested probably six times. The fight around those bridges is quite a battle...

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Night at Cheneux was very good. It was a bag of surprises, and good quick hard hitting fighting. I also liked Wiltz very much. Another smaller one, with good possibilities for all. The Siding (not on cd - I think confused.gif ) was also excellent. Just when I thought I had it won, blasted reinforcements ruined my high mad.gif

------------------

I'm always in the ****, it's only the depth that varies.

[This message has been edited by krm (edited 07-13-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

See?!? I told you Wiltz was awesome!

Another great one is Buchholz Station from Moon (available on his site).

Those two are probably the ones I paly the most. And they both have very nice maps too! wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

SPOILER...SPLOIER....SPOILER....SPOILER...

SLINGLING/CHENAUX/HAN&JAM/CAMBES

HAD TO PLAY AGAIN, HUH Wild Bill??

Well, my two absolute favorites are the tiny ones...SAINT ANNE'S CHAPPLE and SMALL GAIN.

Both are fabulous.I have done them both several times, swapping sides... cool.gif

WILTZ was a very challanging and seriously gratifying fight to win...(played as US and won a major victory)

SINGLING SHOOTOUT was frustrating as hell...all that mud and the perfect "narrow los" ambushes...but I managed to prevail (US) even with most of my armor stuck in the mud at various times.

HAM& JAM...I won the scen but lost 47 guys to that bunker because I had placed them in front of it before it showed up...I expected there to be bunkers so it was stupid to put them there. IT was still a wonderfully tactically challanging scen. So was RED DEVILS.

NIGHT AT CHENEUX was also great...all the Germans along the right side of the road caused me some delay, but I had a very good assault force along the left side of the map so we managed to flank them all nicely.

The tracks that are near the left side hedges were an unplesant surprise... eek.gif

I just did FIRST CLASH AT CAMBES yesterday and will do it again soon..Played as the Germans...I was frustrated as hell by my infantry squads NOT firing PZF's when instructed...I kept placing them nearly on top of the British tanks...30 meters, 22 meters, 6 meters they might as well have thrown water ballons at the British...NONE were effective and the Shermans moved with impunity thru the town, blasting away...I lost all my tanks and guns (save the flak guns) in the first six turns...(hell of a fight)...the Pioneers took out two Shermans with PZF's tho...(glad someone on the screen was using them cuz the infantry never did)...Brits won a tactical victory.

It was fun seeing the fighter/bomber destroy two tanks that were already knocked out by the Shermans...(typical Air Force... biggrin.gif ) It was also fun seeing the two flak guns shoot at the fighter/bomber... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gif

Stiil though, ST ANNE's and SMALL GAIN are the best at testing deployments and plain old tactical skill...(IMO)

[This message has been edited by ARCHANGEL (edited 07-13-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ARCHANGEL:

Played as the Germans...I was frustrated as hell by my infantry squads NOT firing PZF's when instructed...I kept placing them nearly on top of the British tanks...30 meters, 22 meters, 6 meters they might as well have thrown water ballons at the British...NONE were effective and the Shermans moved with impunity thru the town, blasting away...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is probably a realism issue. What a lot of games don't tell you is that it takes some serious guts to get up and fire that panzerfaust - I don't believe they can be fired from a prone position, and off to Valhalla with you if you miss at those ranges....

------------------

-Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by demoss:

This is probably a realism issue. What a lot of games don't tell you is that it takes some serious guts to get up and fire that panzerfaust - I don't believe they can be fired from a prone position, and off to Valhalla with you if you miss at those ranges....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think so??? Hmmm! I really don't know...I HAVE fired all the post-1960's AT weapons, including under fire, but the prone bit is a good point. In one case I sent them running thru a building to hit a Sherman with its ass to them...they got within six meters and sat down...a few moves later the Sherman moved off...I doubt it was the building since the two Shermans killed by Pioneers were destroyed by squads IN buildings...one was on a top floor firing down...(I replayed it...it was seriously cool)...the other was firing slightly up hill at a range of about 12 meters.

The aforementioned infantry squad(s) not firing was irritaing since I went thru actual "tactical ballet" with shot up resources to distract the Shermans while the attacking squads got into position... confused.gif I wonder if six meters is too close for the PzF to arm???

(I cannot recall...and my experience included good old comime RPG's, which are based on the PzF....)

Appreciate your comments...

[This message has been edited by ARCHANGEL (edited 07-13-2000).]

Hmmmm...

St. Anne's Chappele (5 or 6 times)

Wittman at Villers Bocage (5 or 6 times)

Plus the Airborne one at Le Manoir de la Fiere. Just a favorite event. "I don't know a better spot to die."

And that strange one called Quick Battle that seems to be different every time you play it. I just figured it was a game bug or something...

Mark

------------------

Scouts Out!

All my replays are going to a damned scenario I have been working on via the editor. Working out the bugs by that route is a rough row to hoe when the thing demands a lot of turns to make it reasonable. I have it in other hands to help with making it a worthy play. Making roads useable in rough terrain without ruining the topography is proving to be a difficult task. Especially when it seems that they work in one replay and fail in subsequent repeats. I will swear that tiles that proved passable in one play became impassable slopes in another.

One possibility is that they were overcome in earlier attempts via a fast move with such momentum that the vehicles just rolled over them. In the present test, I have had a couple of units move across slope tiles to become trapped, surrounded on all sides by slopes. I keep seeking some sneaky path that will get them out. I think I found one for one vehicle, but that test was spoiled by a lockup. (Lockups seem to be inspired by leaving the game up and having the screen saver kick in.)

Bobbaro,

as a friendly suggestion, turn everything off, including screensavers. I have had too many instances when those &^%$# things kick in at the wrong time and/or eat up too many resource.

Add another scenario to my replay list....Villiers-Bogage as the Geramns...

ah does fine, until the Brit reinforcements show..

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

[This message has been edited by pathfinder (edited 07-15-2000).]

Have you fought any battles or operations that you just had to play again? Have any of the battles you've fought earned a "repeat" status?

The one I have replayed the most is the Wittmann scenario Villers-Bocage-Tigers! Knowing anything about that battle is actually a hindrance, and I kept getting beat (as those who read the usenet historical forum are probably aware :rolleyes smile.gif, until Peter made a suggestion on how he won, and yes, I finally did win it as the Germans biggrin.gif. Of course as has been much discussed, it would be a lot easier if one`s Tigers didn`t spend their time shooting at routed vehicle crews tongue.gif.

Henri