Is it gamey to blow bridges?

Originally posted by Panzerman:

I don't see why it would be gamey. The Germans did that whenever they had the chance. I don't know if it would be very realistic for the Americans or other allies, other than in a battle of the bulge type battle.

Not gamey at all.

US engineering training emphasized bridge building and demolition among a host of other functions for the engineers. Americans had no misgivings of blowing bridges because they knew they could rebuild them in as little as two hours to 8 hours, depending on the type of bridge.

For engineering units intregal to US Divisions, it was standard practice, while in a defensive stance, to rig all bridges for demoilition to deny them to the enemy in case of an enemy counter-attack and or breakthrough.

It must be noted during the Battle of the Bulge, and it is an interesting point, that the Germans (especially Peiper) emphasized "the capturing of bridges" to make it across important rivers. When he came upon bridges that had been blown, he couldn't bring his engineers up because they were so far back in the armored convoy. Hence a lot a time was wasted turning around or sending recon units to find another bridge.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Michael,

Current doctrine for the ADF is that demolition of major (highway) bridges are authorised by a 2 Star (Div Comd) or higher.

Hope that helps,

Interesting. What is an ADF? All I can think of is Australian Defence Force, but that can't be right, can it?

[ April 16, 2002, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by The_Capt:

Before everybody surries away trying to find obscure historical references for Dorosh let me shed some light on this, and Michael if you have any doubts just ask Capt Heth who the finest Engr officer the CF has produced in 20 yrs is..

If he was the finest historical officer the CF has produced, I would be more interested - why is he in an infantry unit, incidentally, and not the FES???

Any bridge which has to be brought down by Direct Fire (a realistic tactic btw) has either not had Engrs available or was not suppose to come down at all.
I'd be interested in real life examples of that, too, come to think of it.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by lcm1947:

Just my personal opinion but I say blowing a bridge was done in war and still is.

If anyone can provide a real life example (you may want to start your searches with the Battle of the Bulge, it is possible there are examples there) of a company commander ordering the destruction of a bridge without higher command authority, let him speak now. I would be genuinely interested in knowing what level of command was the "norm" for the ordered destruction of a bridge in a tactical setting.</font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by The_Capt:

Before everybody surries away trying to find obscure historical references for Dorosh let me shed some light on this, and Michael if you have any doubts just ask Capt Heth who the finest Engr officer the CF has produced in 20 yrs is..

If he was the finest historical officer the CF has produced, I would be more interested - why is he in an infantry unit, incidentally, and not the FES???

Any bridge which has to be brought down by Direct Fire (a realistic tactic btw) has either not had Engrs available or was not suppose to come down at all.
I'd be interested in real life examples of that, too, come to think of it.</font>