I had CMBB in my hand...but I put it back on the shelf!

Short version: I need a US forum member to accept and forward two copies of CMBB to the Republic of Ireland. The rest of this yarn is mere background and optional reading!

Long version: Dublin, yesterday: I popped in to see if it had arrived, but there was no sign of it on the shelves. At this point in the story of CMBB's European release, I was hardly surprised. But I persevered. "Any sign of Combat Mission 2* coming in?", I asked the sales floor chap, who informed me that they had a few copies down in the storeroom. "That'll guarantee bumper sales", I thought. So much for bringing CM to the masses. To be fair, though, the delivery had only arrived the day before and they hadn't had time to do what ever it is they need to do before putting it up on the shelves.

Helpful fellow that he was, he fetched me a copy and told me the price. Then I realised that this wasn't what I wanted at all - having previously decided to get it from the US (probably). Decision time! Aaaaarghh!!!

But I put it back, even though it wasn't easy to do. The reason? Not the Waffletruppen thing - that doesn't really bother me. Mainly it's the potential for problems with patches. Since a CM patch is effectively a replacement exe. A CDV CM installation patched with a US exe is going to look for a US CD. I know this already because when CMBO eventually hit the shops, I bought it too - mainly for the mods CD but so I would also have a backup CD. I tried using it not too long ago but it wouldn't recognise it. So I'd be left with trusting CDV to issue patches promptly - I don't think so.

I also reasoned that to get the manual I would have to organise payment to the US. But then, if I'm sending money to the US anyway, I might as well be sending it for the real thing. Not to mention the problem I have with my hard-earned going to support a company that gives me a substandard package for the full price and denies me the right to make a backup copy. And that's when I put it back. (See short version above for punchline). Like I said, a difficult thing to do, which is why I'm posting this now in case I weaken and run in and buy it on Monday!

So, if anyone can help, my e-mail address is in my profile.

Thanks in advance etc.

*You have to use language they understand.

Hi Holdit (not sure if that applies in this case smile.gif )

I asked about the Patching issue on Cmbb forum some weeks back and was advised by BFC blokes that any patches released would work for all versions of the game.

Having said that I found it hard to trust CDV no matter what they told BFC and have obtained the US version via US mate. Bit more expensive method but I think in long run more satisfying

Cheers

Originally posted by Gary Barr:

Hi Holdit (not sure if that applies in this case smile.gif )

I asked about the Patching issue on Cmbb forum some weeks back and was advised by BFC blokes that any patches released would work for all versions of the game.

Having said that I found it hard to trust CDV no matter what they told BFC and have obtained the US version via US mate. Bit more expensive method but I think in long run more satisfying

Cheers

Hi Gary,

Hope you're getting better weather up there than we're getting down here. :( You're right, I didn't "hold it" for very long (groan). Good self-control - even if I say so myself! I agree with you on the trust issue, and the additional wait and extra effort required to get it from the US will be worth it, I think.

All the best,

Paul

Holdit, just so you know (in case its of interest to you and others smile.gif ) it is actually we whom will be putting out all patches...CDV has nothing to do with its creation. The plan is that all patches will be released by us for all versions at the same time, so youd not be at CDV's mercy with regards to the quality and timing of the patch.

Not saying you shouldnt get yourself a US copy, thats up to you. smile.gif I just wanted to make sure you were making an informed descision.

Dan

[ October 14, 2002, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Holdit, just so you know (in case its of interest to you and others smile.gif ) it is actually we whom will be putting out all patches...CDV has nothing to do with its creation. The plan is that all patches will be released by us for all versions at the same time, so youd not be at CDV's mercy with regards to the quality and timing of the patch.

Not saying you shouldnt get yourself a US copy, thats up to you. smile.gif I just wanted to make sure you were making an informed descision.

Dan

Thanks for taking the time to make that clarification, Dan. I'll still get the US one, because it's going to involve sending dollars to the US one way or the other.

Regards

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

You're a courageous guy, Holdit, resisting the urge of buying the game, and not giving a dime to CDV.

Kudos ! smile.gif

However a real fan will have bought first the CDV version, then got an US one ! :D:D

Heh, heh. I already did htat with CMBO only the other way round. smile.gif

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

You're a courageous guy, Holdit, resisting the urge of buying the game, and not giving a dime to CDV.

Kudos ! smile.gif

However a real fan will have bought first the CDV version, then got an US one ! :D:D

No kidding, especially since I was on the verge of assaulting my postman.