Constant CD Access?

What can I do to stop the almost constant CD access that happens during a game of CMBO? I've tried taking the cd out once the game starts, but invariably I'll get an unhandled exception at some point.

What I find strange is that even while I'm designing a map for a scenario from scratch, the CD drive is still accessing the CD.

How do I copy the "core files" over to my HD w/o using CM Mod Manager?

Again, this is another question that is best asked in the technical forum.

I can't say that I ever noticed my computer using the disk apart from the initial security check when I launch the program.

Of course, it would help to know if you have the original, pristine, pure and uncorrupted BFC version of the game, or one of the CDV versions (comes in at least two flavors which behave differently). Without knowing where you're located I can't even guess at that.

I'm not much good at computer technicalities, but if I had to guess I'd wonder if you were perhaps set up to play off the disk. The solution would probably be a new, clean, and full install onto your hard drive.

Having said that, there are any number of people in the technical forum who have forgotten more about computers than I ever intend to learn. Just don't let them talk you into doing something unnecessarily complicated like partitioning your hard drive and setting up ghost CD drives to fool your computer into thinking the CD is still in your hard drive. You don't want to go that route.

Well, it's clean install, I clicked on the full option, and this has been a problem from the get go, since I got the game when it first came out. The CD drive will spin up at various times during gameplay, and the screen freezes as I'm trying to scroll around the map. The CD drive continues to spin for a couple of minutes, then spins down, only to spin right back up again a minute later.

FWIW, my CD is version 1.0, purchased within the first month or so of the game being published.

If the game is running from your CD drive you will not see any new scenarios or saved games in the listing of scenarios and ops.

However double-check the properties of the shortcut to make sure that the 'target' and 'start in' entries are pointing to the installed directory and not the CD. Also check to see what is running in the background that may be accessing the CD, such as an anti-virus program or any CD/DVD related utility.

If none of this works, then you may have to check your hard drive for errors and do another complete (the full 300+ Mb) install and see if that helps.

Originally posted by Philippe:

[Of course, it would help to know if you have the original, pristine, pure and uncorrupted BFC version of the game, or one of the CDV versions (comes in at least two flavors which behave differently).

Thats a couple of times you have refered to the original as being uncorrupted.

What am I missing with the CDV versions?

*-)

Moral purity and historical authenticity.

The first can't be bought, but you can get most of the rest at Mark Gallear's Mod site. The address is listed in one of the threads at the top of the CMBB forum. Or you can Google it.

Note that the US CDV version of CMBB that I am using is similar to the BFC version, except that it has an extra intro screen. Don't know about the the version that comes with the Anthology. The European versions (which have been known to leak across the Atlantic from time to time) have fictional names associated with some of the German units and a host of strange software requirements that, as I understand it, can play havoc with certain systems and may interefere with future patches. In other words, if your CD doesn't work it may not be BFC's fault.

I don't usually say this, but in this case buy American.

[ January 04, 2005, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Philippe ]

National symbols and Waffle Grenadiers fall under the rubric of historical authenticity.

Useless features added to a program to conform with corporate policy falls under the moral purity rubric, especially if the those features have an effect on functionality. Corporate anonymity is incompatible with moral purity. You can get some nice shades of grey, though.