How to convert .mps to .wav at the correct speed? Help!

I downloaded some new intro music for CMBB and it comes in .mps format to compact it. Now I am trying to convert to .wav so CMBB can use it. I have tried both Winamp and MPEGSuite but when it comes into CMBB, it plays really really fast like the chipmunks!

Does anyone know who to get these things to work? I have tried for quite some time now and just cant get it to work.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I run windows XP on a Dell P4.

Chad

I have had good fortune playing new music files in CMBB if the wav file was already 44.1 KHz sample rate. Converting 22 sample rate files to 44.1 Khz at 128 kbps bitrate without the chipmunk (faster speed) effect was a lot more difficult.

I tried several applications and none of them worked very well. One only converted to 128 Kbps bitrate, one attempted to change to 44.1 KHz sample rate but increased the tempo giving me the chipmunks :(

What I found was that you have to put in extra $$ to get what you want, I guess. The free MPEG Suite didn't cut it. I found AudioEdit Deluxe 1.5 worked for me (after trying several others to no success). Its conversion routines got me what I wanted, a starting mp3 or wav file of 22 KHz sample rate that could be converted to a 44.1 KHz sample rate wav and keep the same tempo, so you don't get the chipmunks. It worked great.

The application can be downloaded for a free trial period ($40.00 to register it) at...

http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/audio_editing.html

There is also a great WWII Song Site that has a wonderful set of files which include many mp3 files already at 44.1 KHz. These convert very nicely to wav files at 44.1 KHz sample rate which CMBB wants, using the free MPEG Suite.

There are plenty of other audio editors out there, so do some more shopping and maybe you can find a good shareware alternative with a much lower cost.

PS: I was amazed at the "professional" editors, costing from $450.00 on up! Big time MIDI setup. Not quite what I was looking for.

EDIT:

Your chipmunk is due to CMBB playing your converted 22 KHz sample rate wav file at 44.1 KHz sample rate, which doubles the playing speed. A sound editor, such as the one described above, will show you the current sample rate when you open a file. After converting the file with a 44.1 KHz sample rate, play it within the editor, and if correctly converted, it won't sound like chipmunks and CMBB will play it just fine.

Boy, talk about being long winded!

[ October 25, 2002, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: kump ]

There is a simple solution:

Go to: http://classic.winamp.com/

and download the old 2.8 (? ) winamp version

( yes ...it´s free ! )

After installing this most popular MP3 Player

go to " Preferences " and select " Options "

There are several in- and output plugins:

Select the " Disk Writer ( hope that was the correct name ) plugin and choose " PCM 16 Bit 44.1 Khz " as output parameter ( Mono- or Stereo depending on the source material ).

Then load your MP3 file , press play and - no matter what the original sample rate is - you get a nice CM compatible WAV file.

Attention: this feature seems to be excluded in the latest Winamp 3.0 release.

Cheers

Tom

Originally posted by Tom TCMHQ:

There is a simple solution:

Go to: http://classic.winamp.com/

and download the old 2.8 (? ) winamp version

( yes ...it´s free ! )

After installing this most popular MP3 Player

go to " Preferences " and select " Options "

There are several in- and output plugins:

Select the " Disk Writer ( hope that was the correct name ) plugin and choose " PCM 16 Bit 44.1 Khz " as output parameter ( Mono- or Stereo depending on the source material ).

Then load your MP3 file , press play and - no matter what the original sample rate is - you get a nice CM compatible WAV file.

Attention: this feature seems to be excluded in the latest Winamp 3.0 release.

Cheers

Tom

Thanks Tom. I will try that out in a few and post here what happend. Sorry to bother you about it! smile.gif

Originally posted by kump:

one attempted to change to 44.1 KHz sample rate but increased the tempo giving me the chipmunks

What's with this Chipmunk hatred? Alvin, Theodore, etc didn't ever do anything to you!!! *grin*