Russian SPGs... uses?

Ok tank grogs, I'm curious about how Russian SPGs (SUs, etc...) were actually used as opposed what they were intended for. I am wondering if these were most useful on defense as mobile ATGs and on offense as mobile direct-fire support platforms. That's mostly how I used German SPGs in CMBO. Thanks for any input, historical, opinion or otherwise. ;)

Originally posted by dalem:

Weren't there oodles of SU-76es motoring around pretty early though?

-dale

Nah, they only started manufacturing them in Jan. 43.

My understanding is that SP artillery (SU-76, SU and ISU 122 and 152) was mostly used in a DF support role for the infantry, unlike in the German case where they were used as tank hunters a lot. I think the SU-85 and SU-100 were used as tank hunters. It is my understanding that different organisation forms applied to these two groups (not sure about the SU-76 though), with the former being organised on the 5-AFV company basis with two vehicles to a platoon, and the latter on a normal 4-AFV per platoon basis. Not sure though, and I am off to the pub, so I won't dig out Zaloga just yet.

Poobear,

It depends. SUs were in two categories: tank hunters, and assault guns. The SU-85 and SU-100 (and ISU-122 to a degree) fit the tank hunter category. The SU-100 was particularly deadly - an outright Tiger/Panther killer.

The other category, assault guns, were where the majority of the SUs fit in: SU-122, SU-152, SU-76, ISU-122, and ISU-152. These were intended for the penetration phase of an attack, directly support the infantry assault, particularly against hardpoints. The SUs were generally the furtherest back of all the attack echelons, offering fire support where needed.

[edit] Oops! Andreas beat me to it ;)

[ September 11, 2002, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Grisha ]

See sig. :D

The english translation is Independent Heavy Self-Propelled Artillery Regiment. 21 ISU-122s and/or ISU-152s.

Normally they were employed with enough medium (T-34/85)and heavy tanks (IS-2) on the offensive that they could concentrate on providing fire-support for the infantry. Thus, the -152 was generally preferred to the -122 even though the -122 had superior armor penetration. But yes, they could be extremely effective tank destroyers in a pinch. The higher ammo loadout on the -122 would recommend it for CMBB battles though, I would think.