The Newbie Tournaments II

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More results from the GV Newbies:

Von Viniga (French) defeated White4 (German) by a score of 55-45 in Mighty Mouse. This was not enough for Von Viniga to overtake White4's lead from the first leg of Round 1.

So, White4 wins Round 1 with an overall score of 110-90 and advances to Round 2.

Congratulations to White4!

OK Boys with Ted gone for a few days we need somebody to liven this thread up and at least attempt to keep it from going to the second page.

I notice alot of games have been finished and no reports!

DL and Humus! 2 games complete and no reports? Shame! DL we'd love to hear you preen but even more Humus we'd love to hear you groan.

It's fun.

Witko and Toran29! What happened in Mighty Mouse?

What brillant maneuver illicited such a grand score for you Witko?

Torn29 what was in that bony head of yours?

Everyone report in now and leave a nice New Years gift for SuperTed- That's an order soldier!

Reporting in as ordered!

Splash (G) vs. Pfc Dunsel (F) Turn 11

Mighty Mouse Olympics

Well its been air traffic control time trying to find a useful position for the teeming hoard of cars we seemed to have deserved.

Finally we decided to draw lots as to who got to have the first kill. There were so many choices and I misjudged the straws lengths and there was a tie! My god I thought they were going to shoot each other! I said "No problems! Pfc Dunsel's got so many sitting out there just take two."

So the 2 of 'em had a race to the top of the hill -- they musta been doing 40 - nearly bounced themselves out-- and we popped two! Thanks Pfc Dunsel, that was fun!

Admittedly Pfc Dunsel seemed to have second thoughts and he shot some of my men -- they were on the other side with stop watches timing to see who's shell hit first.

They kept the watches I noticed.

We also got a gander at those Frenchies testing to see how far a bazooka team could run and still be ineffective. Quite far really.

Sorry gotta dash and splash.

See you at the front.

Just giving this a much needed bump from the second page.

As long as I'm posting, Zitadelle and I are in the process of finishing up Mighty Mouse. I'm going to refrain from any details right now because there are still lots of people out there playing the scenario. A friendly suggestion to others that it might be best to refrain from posting AARs until after the deadline for a given round of the tournament has passed to avoid spilling the beans.

Might be best to start a separate thread for AARs - there are probably some out there (such as alternates) who would like to play Ted's excellent scenarios after the tournament is over. This way, they can avoid spoiling the suprise by avoiding the AAR thread. . .

I am looking forward to reading everyone's reports, though. Mine for Blind will follow later this week. I'll start an AAR thread then if one hasn't been started already.

Cheers,

YD

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by YankeeDog:

As long as I'm posting, Zitadelle and I are in the process of finishing up Mighty Mouse. I'm going to refrain from any details right now because there are still lots of people out there playing the scenario. A friendly suggestion to others that it might be best to refrain from posting AARs until after the deadline for a given round of the tournament has passed to avoid spilling the beans.

Might be best to start a separate thread for AARs - there are probably some out there (such as alternates) who would like to play Ted's excellent scenarios after the tournament is over. This way, they can avoid spoiling the suprise by avoiding the AAR thread. . .

I am looking forward to reading everyone's reports, though. Mine for Blind will follow later this week. I'll start an AAR thread then if one hasn't been started already.

Cheers,

YD<hr></blockquote>

I would have to agree with you YankeeDog - I've refrained from posting any info on the battles, as everyone is playing at a different pace. The suggestion of posting the AAR's after the deadline for the scenario is over is a good one. I'm definitely interested in hearing everyone's strategies for each scenario, but I'd rather not read them while my battle is in progress, as it takes away from the surprise element - which I find to be one of the many "fun factors" to CM.

Plus, it would allow for a more organized release of the AAR's as they would all be hitting the thread at the same time.

Just my two cents smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Don't worry Ted. We'll fill this thread full of useless crap to keep it on the front page where it belongs!!

Seen it again yet Ted? Huh? Have ya? I'm out of the mines of Moria now. The company is sleeping in the trees hiding from orcs. :cool: <hr></blockquote>

VJ,

I will, I will! ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Cheers,

YD<hr></blockquote>

YD,

Excellent idea! :D

Flammenwerfer (axis) and I (allies) are on turn 5 or so in Mighty Mouse. No shots have been fired, and we would both *have the other believe* that no contact or spotting has occured either.

(heh heh heh! soon your insignificant Fritz rebellion will be crushed!)

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]</p>

AAR Chad Harrison (G) v Chris Walker (F)

DO NOT read this if you’re still playing the Mightymouse scenario!

I’ve kept it vague, though it's impossible to write an AAR without giving anything away... And I'm posting it here and now because if we don't post this thread will get relegated to the second page again, and anyway we're all responsible for what we decide to read, right? If you don't want to spoil the surprises for yourself, don't read on. It's that simple.

-----------------

After cautiously advancing up the map (i.e. farting around for ages (14 turns actually)) the French commander finally makes contact with the enemy on the top of the last really big hill, about 600 m from the east end of the map, where the Germans have what seems to be a lookout in a clump of scattered trees.

Realising that he must launch an all-out assault on the German taskforce the French commander takes to his bed to ponder the problem. Finally he decides to split his AFVs into three groups. One group will sweep around the left (north) base of the hill and hopefully take the Germans in the flank, who will be distracted by the two smaller groups ordered to crest the hill together with the infantry.

This plan turns out to be a coordination nightmare of huge proportions, quite beyond the French who are anyway notoriously unaware of the true meaning of punctuality.

However, after poring over the battle map for hours on end the orders are finalised and dispatched to the units. The master plan envisages a 15-second time lag between the units cresting the hill and the AFVs crashing into the flank of the forward-focused Germans.

In reality, things do not turn out as expected. The flanking force is inexplicably late and the cresting groups are too early off the mark. The AFVs follow too close behind the infantry. The command & control structure gets muddled. The German commander has elected to defend with most of his AFVs directly on the reverse slope, together with roughly half of his infantry. The French AFVs crest the hill and become burning wrecks within 30 seconds, every one of them. The infantry, however, wipes the German footsoldiers off the hill, suffering but comparatively minor losses in the process. At the close of this phase they are at the mercy of a large number of German AFVs parked within 50 m or closer. My kingdom for squad fausts!

Although the situation looks disastrous for the French, closer inspection reveals that almost all the German AFVs are facing the hilltop threat, and the French left hook is only seconds away from getting in the first volley of shots. Within a further 30 seconds all the German vehicles bar one have been destroyed for the additonal loss of one French AFV, and the German infantry is routed by the Allied armoured cars. Leading from the front, the French CC pauses to pop open a flask of vintage cognac.

A big mistake, to give in to like that to premature chortling. Especially when facing a commander of Chad’s unquestionable skills. Out of the evening gloom three fresh AFVs appear, two on the high ground in the east and one from the southeast. The two French cars foolishly crossing the cornfield are dispatched in short order, the two in the depression hunt towards the enemy and destroy two armoured cars within 30 seconds, leaving an evenly split total of four ACs in the field.

In the end, both the French and the Germans have one AC remaining. The final score is a hard-fought 51:49 draw.

The French commander thanks Chad Harrison for a thrilling battle, with unbelievable reversals of reversals of fortune and a fair mixture of gloom, despair and the repeated urge to kick oneself in the backside, and the sheer joy of seeing something, at least something, work out as planned! Chad, you are a wily tactician and gentleman on the battlefield, and I look forward to the probable decider!

Chris Walker

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Walker ]</p>

Walker (French) defeated Chad 'Harrison' (German) by a score of 51-49 in Mighty Mouse.

So, Round 1 ends with Chad 'Harrison' holding an overall lead of 101-99 ( :eek: ). Due to unusual circumstances, both players have agreed to play a tie-breaker. This scenario will determine the winner.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: SuperTed ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

Walker (French) defeated Chad 'Harrison' (German) by a score of 51-49 in Mighty Mouse.

Due to unusual circumstances, both players have agreed to play a tie-breaker. This scenario will determine the winner.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: SuperTed ]<hr></blockquote>

Does you both proud! Very nice AAR too - doesn't give a thing away by the by or at least nothing that simple addition wouldn't answer.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Flammenwerfer (axis) and I (allies) are on turn 5 or so in Mighty Mouse. No shots have been fired, and we would both *have the other believe* that no contact or spotting has occured either.

(heh heh heh! soon your insignificant Fritz rebellion will be crushed!)

<hr></blockquote>

Silvio Womanuel-

Do you see those Ravens flying overhead?

Well the're on the kraut pay roll. He He He

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Flammenwerfer ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Flammenwerfer:

Do you see those Ravens flying overhead?

Well the're on the kraut pay roll. He He He

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Flammenwerfer ]<hr></blockquote>

So confident, are you? Your pathetic Raven toadies will soon learn of a fine innovation...the flexible anti-birdo .50 caliber machine gun!

As per my earlier suggestion, I have started a separate thread for tournament AARs here on the CM main board.

Click here to open the Newbie Tourney AAR Thread

I'll post my AAR for Blind Man's Bluff" there later this week (as soon as I have a chance to write it up), I hope others will follow with nicely detailed AARs now that Bluff tourney play is closed!!

I suggest that the AAR thread be for AARs and direct questions or comments relating thereto - general tournament news, results and taunts directed at your opponents should remain here, on the 'official' tournament thread.

Look forward to all of the juicy details!!

Cheers,

YD