sadness... oh, my CMBO where have you gone...

sigh...

i would like to share with you a fate that few a young (and not so young) man should want to face:

i cleaned my desk, and my CD disappeared. only a week previously, i had modded it out and taken a break from playing. i've been playing is straight through since, sheesh, it was released.

:(

i guess it's time to start playing multiplayer. heh, i just need to re-wire my house to make my box the router. oh boy!

(now do ya feel my pain, brothahs?)

smile.gif

shane

Would it be a violation of copyright to burn a copy of the CD to have as backup for cases like this? When software used to be released on floppies, ISTR that such procedures were usually explicitly permitted as long as it was for the original purchaser's exclusive use and it was only mounted on one machine at a time.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Would it be a violation of copyright to burn a copy of the CD to have as backup for cases like this? When software used to be released on floppies, ISTR that such procedures were usually explicitly permitted as long as it was for the original purchaser's exclusive use and it was only mounted on one machine at a time.

Michael

I don't think it should be a problem. I do this with every game I can. As long as you're keeping your copy and original to yourself (like you would ever pirate :rolleyes::D ), it's still within the spirit of the law, IMHO.

If I am correct the CD is setup or programmed where you can't burn a copy. At least that's what a friend told me. Years ago you could but somehow that was stopped from being able to happen. I can certainly see why but not all is lost. I believe that you could contact the company and get a replacement CD if you broke yours or maybe even losting it. I imagine it would depend on the outfit you're dealing with but I believe that is correct.

Its says right in the CM:BO manual that you are allowed to make 1 backup copy.

, except for a single copy made solely for the purpose of backup.
This is found on the same page as the License.

[ April 19, 2002, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

heh, after going CMBO-less for about a month, i finally posted my sadness to you guys...

...which made me remember exactly where to look! i found it within 15 mins of me hunting for it.

anyways, yeah: i just made my backup copy, in case it gets "cleaned" somewhere else in the future. smile.gif

You may have problems backing up the CD since it is a hybrid, i.e. made to work with both the Mac and the PC. I know I did. I just had to use off the shelf software to make a copy and that was that. MadMatt himself told me how to do it, so obviusly making a copy of your own personal, fully paid for CD is totally fine.