Can HQ Units Act As Arty Spotters?

Originally posted by Doug Beman:

You're supposed to have your FOs in position from which they can call fire onto any likely target :D ...

You *are* joking, right? The maps I get always seem to have great terrain on the other side of the map, wonderful locations for AT guns to sweep the battlefield or to site FOs. But *no* place at all for mine. :( War is hell, ain't it?

Michael

I'm well aware of the advantages of having my arty spotter in the rear area on top of the hill that overlooks the battlefield. However...this isn't always the case, is it? What if you're playing a low hill, heavy tree map? That arty spotter has to be movied up to the front sometimes if you want any kind of decent LOS.

I just don't understand this rule. If on-board mortars can spot using a HQ in command, why can't a spotter do the same?

Emrys, I understand your pain. In a current PBEM against an opponenet who shall remain nameless until I announce that he's trounced be soundly, "his" side of the map has several low, wooded hills from which his tanks enjoy sharply defined LOS covering terrain I MUST cross in order to get near the objective, while my own half of the map enjoys less cover, and most of the good hiding places only give me LOS to a slim portion of the objective area, or LOS to some totally irrelevant area.

DjB

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

I'm well aware of the advantages of having my arty spotter in the rear area on top of the hill that overlooks the battlefield. However...this isn't always the case, is it? What if you're playing a low hill, heavy tree map? That arty spotter has to be movied up to the front sometimes if you want any kind of decent LOS.

I just don't understand this rule. If on-board mortars can spot using a HQ in command, why can't a spotter do the same?

What to do? Pretty simple, move your spotter up with your infantry. I usually keep mine 100m or so behind.

WWB