help please, kinda-off topic...

I am in the states back end of this month. Am going to confed air force TX. and Aberdeen prooving grounds. Aberdeen is closed to civilians and I would like to know of any other museums/exhibitions to visit.

starting from say Dallas and ending up in Florida, happy to go north some, even as far as Gettysburg.

Happy to have replies to my email if you don't want to dump on this forum. Sorry for off-topic but I did check with a moderator before posting.

Cheers, Jon.

Near where I live are two excellent Museums.

First is the Patton Museum of Calvary and Armor. Next to Aberdeen about the best military armor musuem in America. Located at Ft. Knox Kentucky, about 45 minutes South of Louisville.

http://www.generalpatton.org/

Neat attractions: Panther II and a King Tiger with its side 'cut-away' to allow you to peer inside. Vehicles inside and out and if no one is looking you can climb all over the ones outside including the massive US T-28 Super Heavy Tank.

Next museum is in Dayton Ohio (54 miles North of Cincinnati) and is IMHO the best military museum I have ever been to (yeah that includes Bovington, Kublinz and the Imperial War Musuem) and that is the Wright Patterson Air Force base. Awesome displays, hundreds of exhibits and every plane is in flyabale condition!

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/

Neat Attractions:

ME-262 (with 30mm cannon in its own display case!)

SR-71

A-10 Thunderbolt II (you used to be able to climb into the cockpit)

Multiple Simulaters you can ride in.

SAM-2

Awesome museum and only about 40 minutes from my house.

Both are a little North for you but if you were thinking of Gettysburg (also neat) you might as well head this way and hit Patton and WPAFB.

Regards!

Madmatt

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Madmatt ]</p>

There's a good aeronautics museum in Florida near Orlando (I think) called "Fantasy of Flight."

If you're intirested in the American Civil War, I'd check out Vicksburg Mississippi.

There's also a very good air museum up in Ohio, but thats a bit out of your way. Again, I forget where it is (or exactly what its called too.)

Oh, least someone forget the Smithsonian in Washington DC.

The naval air museum in Pensacola Fl if great. I have been to Dayton and I liked it but being ex-navy I really loved Pensacola. It's not as big but not as crowded either. They treat you like a million dollars and it is the home of the Blue Angels. They have a free bus tour and we were told when I was there that every Thurs the Angels practice for 2 hours when they are home. Free to watch the only difference the guide told us was there are 2000 people watching not 200,000

One of my favorites in the 45th Infantry Division Museum in Oklahoma City (about 3.5 to 4 hours by car north of Dallas depending on how heavy your foot is).

Highlights: Vehicles (Shermans, M8 GMC, many other tanks and softskins), The Bill Mauldin wing has hundreds of his original works as printed in Stars and Stripes, Medal of Honor wing dedicated to the Divisions 8 ( I think, 7 WW2, 1 Korea) MOH winners, plenty of weapons (Bazookas, mortars, etc.) to drool over.Pre and post war stuff (including vehicles) is also covered.

Basically a great museum dedicated to one of the premier US units in World War 2. Check it out at:

http://www.45thdivisionmuseum.com/

The website is ok if you can't get there but it is no substitute for going. Also every time I have been there are a couple of vets at the door willing to chat.

Greg

Eglin Air Force Base has a nice little museum near Ft. Walton Beach. Last time I was down there they had an SR-71, B-17, B-24, P-51, P-38, P-47, a good number of more modern stuff, and some that I can't think of. It's a good place to spend a bit of time if you're in the area, plus it's right near the flight line if you want to watch those while eating lunch. :D If you're looking Civil War, I haven't been there in many many years, but I remember Fredricksburgh and Petersburgh had some nice battlefield parks, and of course, if you go that far, you have to go by Gettysburgh. If you're in Atlanta, stop by the Cyclorama, which is worth a visit, and Chattanooga has a few spots. You can always do what I did and climb Lookout mountain. (Something I definitely would NOT want to do under fire :D )

The Patton museum is great. Not only can you climb on the tanks outside when no one is looking, but no one is ever looking. It also gives you a good appreciation for what close assaulters had to face.

Also, the county courthouse in Putnam county, Ind., has a V-1 on display on the courthouse lawn (sort of like how other courthouses have cannon and stuff). Probably not worth a special trip, but weird nonetheless.

Here are a few to check out along your route:

Naval air museum in Galveston Tx. I don't recall the official name of the museum.

D-Day Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana.

USS Alabama Battleship (and a submarine) in Mobile, Alabama.

Someone already mentioned the museum in Pensacola, Fl.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Next museum is in Dayton Ohio (54 miles North of Cincinnati) and is IMHO the best military museum I have ever been to (yeah that includes Bovington, Kublinz and the Imperial War Musuem) and that is the Wright Patterson Air Force base. Awesome displays, hundreds of exhibits and every plane is in flyabale condition!

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/

Neat Attractions:

ME-262 (with 30mm cannon in its own display case!)

SR-71

A-10 Thunderbolt II (you used to be able to climb into the cockpit)

Multiple Simulaters you can ride in.

SAM-2

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Madmatt ]<hr></blockquote>

I'll second the endorsement for Wright-Patterson - it's the Air Force's equivalent of Aberdeen, so a lot of captured, unusual and one-of-a-kind aircraft ended up there, including: the XB-70 Valkyrie; the MiG-15 which was defected in by a North Korean pilot, subsequently put through its paces by Chuck Yeager; Bock's Car, the B-29 that dropped the bomb on Nagasaki; a B-36 (the thing is HUGE), including the XF-85 Goblin parasite fighter designed to fit in the bomb bay; most of your standard WWII fighters; a Fiesler Storch; a Ju52; a B-25 (with the 75mm gun removed and put in a separate case for close inspection); and lots of other neat stuff.

I felt like a kid in a candy store - four hours wasn't nearly enough.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> The naval air museum in Pensacola Fl if great. I have been to Dayton and I liked it but being ex-navy I really loved Pensacola. It's not as big but not as crowded either. They treat you like a million dollars and it is the home of the Blue Angels. They have a free bus tour and we were told when I was there that every Thurs the Angels practice for 2 hours when they are home. Free to watch the only difference the guide told us was there are 2000 people watching not 200,000 <hr></blockquote>

I second the P-cola recommendation. Overall it's by far my favorite base I ever did time in, loved the museum and the Blue Angels practices over the base.

Gyrene

To Abn_Ranger87 Not many Paddie fields in Merrie England I'm afraid...

I was in the Queens Own Worcestershire hussars Squadron of the QOMY for a while. Got an exchange with the Michigan National Guard. Up at Camp Grayling by the Canadian border. I think the Chosin reservoir was one of the true slugfests. I wasn't there hence chosunfew rather than chosinfew