What's a puppchen?(sp?)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by l3w53r:

I couldnt find anything bout it anywhere.=)<hr></blockquote>

It also has another meaning, a not really military one: a 'Püppchen' means 'small puppet'.

It is most commonly used as a petname for

girls and women.

The petname was probably chosen, because it's such a small, teenie-weenie anti-tank weapon, not because it's so cute ;)

I often wondered... But I only just made the connection after reading these posts.

I can remember a german actor in a movie saying:

"oh, my little puppchen, how I love you", or words to that effect.

Now I know he wasn't really talking about his cute little girl friend. He was referring to the fact that his carriage mounted AT rocket launcher had just knocked out a Pershing.

Cute little Toad

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stoffel:

that little thing is the stielgranate 41

it was ignited by a blanc round fired from the barrel

it had a range of 300 meters and could penetrate 180mm of armor from that distance

it was a poor fill up the gap effort untill a better gun emerged<hr></blockquote>

You can see one being fired at infantry oddly in enough in Band of Brothers. It was episode 3 or 4 I think.

Puppchens are pretty mobile (and you can slap them in a kubelwagen and take them anywhere) but the small crew is pretty easy to take out when spotted ... pretty much the same for any fixed arty.

Think of it as a panzerschreck with 500m of range and 50 rounds instead ot 200m or so with 8.

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Puppchen rockets had a different motor than 'Shreck ones - longer and hence slightly faster projectile & longer effective range.<hr></blockquote>

The back of the tube was also sealed so no gas was wasted out the back. This made it function more like a real artillery piece with a longer range and also allowed to fire from an enclosed space.

A word to the wise if you're considering using the Puppchen. Use it at around 100m or less, maybe just above 100m, just as you would the Pz.Schreck. Yes, it has better range over the Pz.Schreck but keep in mind that it has a low velocity compared to any ATGs, making it less accurate at extended ranges. This holds especially true on moving targets.

Puppchens for an Axis player is a pretty good buy but mobility in a mission pales in comparison to the man-portable Pz.Schreck. However, you do get lots of rounds and if you can protect it, it can be a real menace to Allied armor regardless of armor facing.