Need help concerning Movement Orders

I have now read the manual several times, and I still havent found any descriptin regarding Assault, Advance and Human Wave orders. The first 2 i can kinda guess. But what excatly does those 3 orders do. Like as when running they dont see much and dosent engage the enemy. Anyone have a clue??

Jev

Aka

Fluffy The Sheep

Originally posted by Jev.Dk:

I have now read the manual several times, and I still havent found any descriptin regarding Assault, Advance and Human Wave orders. The first 2 i can kinda guess. But what excatly does those 3 orders do. Like as when running they dont see much and dosent engage the enemy. Anyone have a clue??

Jev

Aka

Fluffy The Sheep

"Advance - tactical move when advancing under fire in view of the enemy. This assumes dashing from cover to cover, using covering and suppressing fire and movement by bounds"

"assault - similar to advance, but especially useful for covering those last 10 to 20 meters into an enemy position. Increases morale slightly, while allowing units to return supressing fire, but too tiring to be used over longer stretches"

"Human wave- (sov only). Unit will begin with a brisk walk (for at least 10 meters) and cover the last 80 meters of the way to the waypoint running.....Increases morale"

CDV manual P75-76, cant help with US manual.

As Sailor Malan already quoted the manual, maybe I should give a brief commentary on how these commands should be utilized, IMHO.

Advance

Sort of like "move" under fire. Your troops will move slightly faster than with "move", pour fire against enemies in their general direction, and make use of ther current cover to their best ability. Should always be used, if you plan to shift your troops in cover or past short uncovered strips in the face of the enemy.

Assault

A concentrated effort to move in the given waypoint. As mentioned, it boosts morale, and the troops move at running pace, but it's VERY exhausting; at least three times more than simply running. Sort of like improved "advance" command, with the price of heavy fatigue, and slightly longer command delay. Also, linking an "assault" command after other waypoints of other commands of another type is not allowed.

Human wave

Sort of like crude "Assault". The good thing is that this command can be issued to troops of any experience, even rattled ones (by my last recollection). The bad thing is that the waypoint cannot be adjusted after the command is executed, so if an MG suddenly pops up at the opposite side of the field that you're currently waving through, you'll be left with grim choices: either attempt to mow through the MG, or call of the wave, risking severe casualties as your troops have to be re-commanded out of the field.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

As Sailor Malan already quoted the manual, maybe I should give a brief commentary on how these commands should be utilized, IMHO.

Advance

Sort of like "move" under fire. Your troops will move slightly faster than with "move", pour fire against enemies in their general direction, and make use of ther current cover to their best ability. Should always be used, if you plan to shift your troops in cover or past short uncovered strips in the face of the enemy.

Assault

A concentrated effort to move in the given waypoint. As mentioned, it boosts morale, and the troops move at running pace, but it's VERY exhausting; at least three times more than simply running. Sort of like improved "advance" command, with the price of heavy fatigue, and slightly longer command delay. Also, linking an "assault" command after other waypoints of other commands of another type is not allowed.

Human wave

Sort of like crude "Assault". The good thing is that this command can be issued to troops of any experience, even rattled ones (by my last recollection). The bad thing is that the waypoint cannot be adjusted after the command is executed, so if an MG suddenly pops up at the opposite side of the field that you're currently waving through, you'll be left with grim choices: either attempt to mow through the MG, or call of the wave, risking severe casualties as your troops have to be re-commanded out of the field.

VERY helpful

thanks

-tom w

• 3 weeks later...

After reading several posts on the new infantry movement orders in CMBB (including this useful one), I think I have it figured out. Can someone tell me if this is a correct understanding?

1. Infantry exposure in CMBB is a function of the terrain AND type of movement the unit is conducting.

2. In order of increasing exposure, the movement commands are: no movement, Sneak, Assault, Advance, Move to Contact, Move, Human Wave, Run, Withdraw.

Is this general understanding correct? And is the order listed in #2 above correct (i.e., troops using Assault make better use of cover than troops using Advance)?

Thanks,

Ace

I've been wondering whether Advancing troops use their own cover fire with merely *suspected* enemy positions.

IOW, do they announce themselves sonically to an enemy who may be near, but not yet in sight, ( and vice versa! ).

Follow? IOW, do they fire their weapons when no enemy is yet seen, and are therefore loud and noticeable even out of LOS?

Eden

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

I've been wondering whether Advancing troops use their own cover fire with merely *suspected* enemy positions.

IOW, do they announce themselves sonically to an enemy who may be near, but not yet in sight, ( and vice versa! ).

Follow? IOW, do they fire their weapons when no enemy is yet seen, and are therefore loud and noticeable even out of LOS?

Eden

Sounds like you are asking if the Advance command is quiet method of movement when no enemy is around. Since it makes better use of cover than Run or Move does (and thereby makes it harder to be seen by the enemy, it stands to reason), might Advance be a stealthy means of movement when enemy contact has not yet been made?

My understanding is that in CMBO, the Run command ignored the difficulty of putting rounds on target while sprinting. In short, it allowed all the men in a squad to sprint while simultaneously engaging the enemy. So, in CMBB, the firepower output of the Run command was toned down considerably, and the Advance command was introduced to simulate some members of the squad getting down in the dirt and firing while others moved. In short, the Advance command has a higher probability of engaging the enemy than the Run command does. I don’t believe this means that there is firing going on when there is no targeting line from the Advancing unit. Hopefully, someone can back me up on this.

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

Eden

Sounds like you are asking if the Advance command is quiet method of movement when no enemy is around. Since it makes better use of cover than Run or Move does (and thereby makes it harder to be seen by the enemy, it stands to reason), might Advance be a stealthy means of movement when enemy contact has not yet been made?

My understanding is that in CMBO, the Run command ignored the difficulty of putting rounds on target while sprinting. In short, it allowed all the men in a squad to sprint while simultaneously engaging the enemy. So, in CMBB, the firepower output of the Run command was toned down considerably, and the Advance command was introduced to simulate some members of the squad getting down in the dirt and firing while others moved. In short, the Advance command has a higher probability of engaging the enemy than the Run command does. I don’t believe this means that there is firing going on when there is no targeting line from the Advancing unit. Hopefully, someone can back me up on this.</font>

Originally posted by Cameroon:

Good point. It's certainly no substitute for the old CMBO Sneak command. But might it increase the chance of moving into a position undetected over using the Run command?

Also, does anyone have any knowledge on the question of whether the various types of movement increase exposure as postulated at the beginning of this thread?

I haven't tried it out yet (i always used it the other way around), but Steve gave in another thread one example for Assault and Advance:

you want to move a squad in a building from the 1st floor to the 2nd and don't know if there is an enemy:

then you use ASSAULT;

for the squad(s) following, you use advance;

Schoerner,

I saw that post by Steve. In fact, that led me to post a question about house-to-house fighting and the advantages of being on the second floor.

While I appreciate and can use examples of how to use the commands, I think it would still be helpful to understand WHY these commands are appropriate in these situations. The manual explains that Assault provides a morale boost, but it doesn’t say anything about how much cover the men use as compared to Advance. Steve advised using Assault to move into the upper floor of a building against an enemy. Should you use Assault instead of Advance in this situation because it better protects your men, because they use more grenades, or because of some other reason?

This game is so detailed that it’s not reasonable to expect everything to be explained in the manual. Which is what makes the fact that the developers come onto this forum to answer questions like these just another great aspect of this game.