Low end machine and CMBB

Hi,

My friend is thinking about looking into CM but his machine is not high tech ;) Actually he said it was 450Mhz, don't know yet about display card.

I think he said recommended hardware was 500Mhz, so he was thinking about getting CMBO. So I tought I would ask if people have similiar systems and how does CMBB run on them? I would think there would not be any problems at least if have at least some kind 3D card and perhaps don't play big scenarios..

CMBO will run fine on a 450mhz machine with a half way decent graphics card. With less than a 32mb card you'll notice slow downs and jerkiness in scenarios with lots of graphics effects such as moving vehicles or burning buildings.

Smaller scenarios in CMBB will probably also be OK, but some of the larger ones would probably be unplayable - the Stalingrad operation, for instance, reduces my Athlon XP2000 with a Geforce 3 Ti500 card to a crawl.

The keys are the Graphics card and RAM.

I'm running with Firefly's CPU

but with a GF4 Ti4600 with 128 megs of ram

and 1 gig of PC2100 DDR RAM on the MoBo (Motherboard).

PC2100 DDR Ram runs at 266mmb/sec which was, till recently, one's max system bus-speed without overclocking.

Find out what kind of ram the MoBo can take.

IF it is anything less than PC2100 DDR ram,

forget it, it's already at best obsolete.

Unless it's for FREE.

for cmbo i had a celeron 400 with 128mb of ram and 10mb video (2mb plus monster ii add-on card)...

one way to upgrade indexpensively is the k7sem board with built-in amd duron 1200 and onboard sis video... i threw 512mb of ram onto that and shared out 64mb of it to the video... all for about $180 - new case, new board, 256mb ram and new floppy... when running win98se there was something about setting minfilecache and maxfilecache in the system.ini (don't have it on hand right now) but with the 512mb total it does seem to handle cmbb well... it runs slightly faster on this machine than it did on the celeron... with the patching giving 25% shorter compile times it should really fly....

It will run fine on a P2-233 with a 16meg TNT. Granted, it's not up for running 'to the volga', and I do have to turn off some features such as smoke and trees if the map is too cluttered, but it runs flawlessly on 90% of the scenarios out there.

Thank you Charles.

I have been successfully running CMBB and the demo on a PII 350MX with 128Mb RAM and a GeForce 4 Ti4200 64Mb DDR RAM card. I did de-frag prior to install which may help with the large directory size. I have also successfully run CMBB on a 600Mhz laptop with a lousy video card (typical business install...). With both, there is a bit of a delay loading the graphics when it launches and for turn calculation, but it isn't anything significant.

Of course, I have not attempted the Volga operation- but then again, I don't think there is a current PC on the market that can handle the beast (how was it system tested??).