Question for CMBB Mac Beta testers.

I'm guessing there are at least a couple Mac beta testers out there.

What hardware have you tested it on and how does it run on them?

I know CMBB seems to run just fine on Macs with less than the rec. specs. Just curious if it will run at all on my clamshell iBook or iMacDV (slot loading). I have a G4 450 at work with 16 or 32 MB VRAM, so that should be fine.

regards,

Runs very well on a new iMac smile.gif

Also runs fairly well on a Powerbook G3 500MHz with its 8Mb Video (with this, I tend to avoid maxing out the doodads and trees... and toning down the smoke if it gets heavy). Your iMac should be ok (the slot loading iMacs have 16Mb video IIRC). Not sure about the iBook... if it has 8Mb video, it should perform about the same as my Powerbook. If less than 8, I doubt it will work very well at all. In either case, you may run into some problems with some of the large scenarios. If large to huge scenarios are what you like and you want to run everything at its highest level of detail, I would suggest buying a new Mac. Otherwise, you should be fine. of course, if you are used to using a G4 at work, you probably want a new Mac for home anyway :D

Similar question - is a G3 350 mhz with 16mb VRAM and 128mb of memory going to cut the mustard? If not, what's the most important thing to upgrade short of buying an entirely new machine? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dook, you should be fine. Depending on resolution it will down-sample more or less, but it runs well on my G4/400, and did run well on that G3 iMac that was there last night. 16MB VRAM does it, in fact, 8MB is enough to play it on. I am not sure on the memory, but you could always buy a stick of 128MB and that would certainly be more than enough. I just have 384MB because the machine had that when I bought it.

Karch, I am pretty sure your iMac would have 8MB VRAM. Does the clamshell iBook have 4 or 8MB VRAM? If 4, that maybe pushing it.

Just checked and both have 8MB of VRAM.

I'm far more interested in how the game runs rather than looks. I can always run it at work in the evenings when I need a high res fix.

Anyone able to compare 400MHz G3 to G4 of same speed?

I don't think anything CM uses is altavec enabled, so I'd guess a G3 will perform the same as an equiv. speed G4.

I'm more of a small battle player 90% of the time. No time for anything bigger. Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Does the clamshell iBook have 4 or 8MB VRAM? If 4, that maybe pushing it.

I'm on the wife's Orange Clamshell iBook now

300 mHz G3

4 megs of VRAM

I have Played CMBO on it and looks pretty good.

There are different kinds of Clamshell iBooks.

The first generation were turquoise and orange (4 Megs VRAM) and Graphite, the Grpahites were the Special edition and I think they have the 8 megs of VRAM

then there were lime and deep blue Clam Shell iBooks and a Graphite SE version and those had Fire wire ports. I think this second generation had 8 megs VRAM in the base model and (maybe?) 16 megs VRAM in the Graphite SE?

-tom w

[ July 13, 2002, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by Dook:

Similar question - is a G3 350 mhz with 16mb VRAM and 128mb of memory going to cut the mustard? If not, what's the most important thing to upgrade short of buying an entirely new machine? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My Powerbook only has 128Mb, so you should be fine. You can ask the folks that were at Rune's preview today about what they thought of the 8Mb VRAM... I had my Powerbook there and at least 3 games got played on it