The 234/4

Dear Highcommand,

I´m reading the "Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two " by Peter Chamberlain and Hilary Doyle. Great book, btw.

We all know that the 234/1, 234/2 and 234/3 are in CMBO . Why isnt the 234/4 ( 7.5 cm PaK40 ) included ?

The production numbers are as follows :

234/1 - 200 2cm KwK38

234/2 - 101 Puma

234/3 - 88 7.5 cm KwK51

234/4 - 89 7.5 cm PaK40

So the 234/4 is as frequent as the 234/3, which is in the game. The 234/4 is not.

Any Hints ?

And will the 234/4 be present in CMBB ?

BTS had a limited time to produce CMBO like all game developers. They choose certain AFVs and ommitted others based on what they thought would make the game more complete and balanced. A lot of vehciles didn't make it into the game such as the American M16 halftrack, while other obscure units (the H-39 Hotchkiss) did. CMBB promices to have many more AFVs available than it's predecessor, but rest assured, one or two of your favorits will probably not see the light of day. As far as the 234/4 goes, did it see more eastern or western service? If it fought the russkies in greater numbers, then there is a good chance it will be in CMBB. I myself am more interested in playing with things like the eariler PSW 222 series though.

You know, this is a pretty legitimate question to be summarily ridiculed. Here is what James Blackwell (renowned modeller) says on the subject:

Exact 234/4 issues are still very murky due to the late timeframe of their production and employment. Of the 90 produced from Dec.'44-Apr.'45, Tom Jentz's Museum Ordnance 234 Special from Darlington pubs, only lists the few issues to units he's certain of on p.6;

16? to Pz.Gr.Div. "Bradenburg" in Jan '45

6 to Führer-Begleit Div. on Feb 16 '45

3 to Pz.Div. "Juterbog" on Feb 21 '45

3 to Pz.Div. "Schlesien" on Feb 21 '45

3 to 25.Pz.Div. on Mar 14 '45

4 to Pz.Div. "Müncheberg" on Mar 29 '45

3 to Begleit.Kp.z.b.v. on April 1 '45

So thats only a third of them at most and no obvious candidates for Italy or Yugoslavia...so who had it may stay a mystery for a while longer without more info...

Now, by the issuance date of the 234/4, there really wasn't all that much fighting going on on the western Front as the Allies had stopped and the Germans were throwing EVERYTHING they had against the Russians, so I would agree with VJ who surmised that they were only used in the East. Good question nonetheless, and I love the bastids, so I hope they make them into CMBB :D

Guys,

So far in CM human choose games, I have used every single Puma & 234/3 ever built. :eek:

Does that mean that I can't ever choose these vehicles again and that no one else can ever choose these vehicles again. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Cheers, Richard :D:D:Dtongue.gif

Originally posted by PiggDogg:

Guys,

So far in CM human choose games, I have used every single Puma & 234/3 ever built. :eek:

Does that mean that I can't ever choose these vehicles again and that no one else can ever choose these vehicles again.

Cheers, Richard

I don't know, did you lose them all??

(oh, that was good)

Pz Leader,

That was really good. I love it. :lol

As silly as it seems, I have won most of the games with the 234/3s (75 AC). Those 75ACs are generally a pretty good buy for the point spent. tongue.gif

Hussar,

You mean that you have played enough CM games to equal the approximately 500,000 German soldiers in France & Germany. :eek: Boy, you have played a whole bunch of CM games. :D:D;)

Cheers, Richard tongue.gif;)

[ June 27, 2002, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: PiggDogg ]

Hi all,

so the 234/4 is one of those vehicles that didnt make it in the game.

I just stumbled upon these production numbers and thought : " Why the /3 and not the /4 ".

Since all parts for the /4 are in the game ( PaK40 ), I thought it could be possible to see it in CM** one day.