What videocard is good for CM:BB? Radeon?

What videocard is good for CM:BB? Radeon?

I can not play with my current PC CM:BB at home. Now I'm buying new PC bit by bit and I will assemble myself. Mainboard with processor with fan is already attached to computer case.

One of the hardest thing is to decide which videocard would I buy?

I'm considering Radeon because, ATI has traditionally had good quality cards and new Radeons should also be good for 3D games.

I use my home computer for serious use like Photoshop and also for games.

I'm considering to buy Hercules 3D Prophet 9500 Pro 128Mt TV/DV (It's Radeon, but here in Finland and in Europe in general I suppose, they mostly sell only third party video cards not original ATIs).

Is Radeon good for CM:BB?

There is some problem with fog (fog tables ?) ? in CM:BB with Radeon cards, those cards don't support/show fog in CM:BB am I right?

Any experiences? Suggestions?

One other problem with the Radeons and CM other than fog is that they don't support 'SmoothVision' (ATI's FSAA) in 16-bit games under DirectX (or possibly even OpenGL). I'm not sure if this has changed with some of the newer Catalysts, but I'm guessing that it hasn't.

GeForces on the other hand do support FSAA for 16-bit color applications like CM. However at high enough resolutions, many people claim that there is little to no need (desire) of FSAA, but that is a subjective call.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

One other problem with the Radeons and CM other than fog is that they don't support 'SmoothVision' (ATI's FSAA) in 16-bit games under DirectX (or possibly even OpenGL). I'm not sure if this has changed with some of the newer Catalysts, but I'm guessing that it hasn't.

GeForces on the other hand do support FSAA for 16-bit color applications like CM. However at high enough resolutions, many people claim that there is little to no need (desire) of FSAA, but that is a subjective call.

Can somebody show me visual difference between Radeon and Geforce, I mean screenshots of CMBB with fog(Geforce) and without fog (Radeon) and with anti-aliasing (Geforce) and without anti-aliasing (Radeon.

I know what term anti-aliasing means, but it would be nice to see in practice with screenshots of CMBB .

That information could also helpful for other people who are considering buy CMBB (or already have like me) and updating their PC system.

I have played CMBO and CMBB at my work with my Celeron 500 Mhz(or something like that) equiped with old Voodoo 3 videocard (don't ask why I have gamecard [and lousy 2D card] in my job and not good 2D videocard like Matrox or Ati with crystal clear picture not blurry).

So do you know does Voodoo 3 support CMBB fog?

Because I'm not sure if I have seen fog in CMBB.

Maybe I have not played that kind of scenarios, which have fog or I don't remember, because it's longtime ago when I played CMBB

(I have been about six weeks in sick leave, because I broke my ankle, when I ran on streets of Helsinki during Christmas Holidays [i was in hurry, because I did not want to be late from display of "Two Towers] at movie theater), so last time when I played CMBB was before Christmas holidays.

One positive thing salary is running and I don't have to do nothing for it, thanks to Finnish system.

I also spare money, because gasoline is very expensive here [very high tax] in Finland, because Finnish state want discourage private motoring and courage usage of public transport, public transport those pecularities of Old Europe smile.gif )

When CMBB arrived to Finland, I saw people playing the game (CDV version CM2)in game department of Akateeminen kirjakauppa (Academic bookstore part of largest and finest department store Stockmann in Helsinki and in Finland )

The picture looked better in store than in my work's computer screen, I was quite impressed by the picture quality.

So I asked from salesman what videocard they have in their display machines, he said Geforce 2 mx :eek: , I wondered so good picture with that better than with Voodoo 3.

Is there even noticeable difference between Geforce 2 MX and Voodoo 3 or is the cause my old Nokia monitor?

I can't recall off-hand if the Voodoo 3's support fog or not. I'll have to look at my notes or install the card to double-check.

You can see some screenshots of fog here at the BFC site by going to 'Products' at the top of the page and selecting 'CombatMission Barbarossa to Berlin' and then selecting 'Screenshots'. On page 1 'Bone5.jpg' is a screenshot with light fog and on page 5 'T26advance.jpg' is another one. There are actually several more shots with fog, but the horizon in them is limited, so you don't see the fog effect very well.

With ATI's (on the PC) you won't see any fog at all. If the scenario calls for fog, it will look clear. Whereas with a GeForce you will see the misty grey cover parts of the battlefield. The only thing that is actually missing here is the graphical representation of the fog (the game still uses the LOS restrictions that fog places on the scenario, even if you don't see it in the game).

Many of the screenshots that you'll see in this preview were shot on a GeForce to my knowledge, so it is very likely that FSAA is on in these shots. However there is no direct comparison with a non-FSAA shot. Some CMBO posts back in 2000/2001 had some comparison shots between FSAA & non-FSAA screenshots. The biggest difference is usually seen close up, where the 'jaggies' along edges that aren't perfectly flat will disappear somewhat. However the flip-side of this is that there may be a bit more 'blurriness' to the textures (this tends to vary), which is a side-effect of FSAA (and it is actually how it works to a certain extent).

Thank for info regarding video cards Schrullenhaft!

I can tell this Finnish winter is not so nice even for überfinn smile.gif ! It could be about -25°C (-13°F) during the day even in Southern Finland, Helsinki area, and in warmer days city or town streets are like skating rings.

In this winter many here in Finland have broken their legs and not this time elderly as usual but working age people in their hurry.

Warming of apartments and broken legs cost lot to this country.

Dont remember where the shots are, but they were with macs and mac cards. No use whatsoever for PC users, since mac GF2MX doesnt give the same picture as PC GF2MX.

Anyway, like they said, unless fog is an absolute necessity, you've picked a nice enough card.

GF4Ti 128MB would be an Nvidia equivalent, I'm happy enough with my MSI 4200. Gives a good sharp picture.