Importing QB's

Can it be patched?

I mean not being able to change the setup zones is kinda like half the point with importing a map in the first place. Now it is possible to fight mini campaigns over the same piece of terrain. I love that feature, it is something I have been waiting for a long time.

But... It is kinda (really) important to be able to have your troops replenish their ammo before the next battle. Otherwise those "old" troops will just sit there without ammo...

It'd be nice to import units only too. That way it'd be possible to use QB map and enviroment randomizer easily. One can always create scenario and edit units in that, then importing from last quicksave, but then the map would be always same.

If one could import units only and replenish them, that would allow sort of "dynamic campaign".

Cheers,

M.S.

I am using this feature on a series of 20 turn QBs over the same map. The key is to conserve ammo. Also, purchase infantry that has more ammo to begin with.

I find this to be a nice feature and love it! Ammo conservation is a very real problem facing frontline troops from time to time. This replicates it nicely IMO.

-Sarge

MasterGoodale --

All units have an assigned cost. There is a base cost, based on BFC's view of the unit's combat effectiveness. This is modified by the unit's experience level, e.g. Crack units cost more than Green. This can be further modified by unit rarity (e.g. the Sturmmorser Tiger is, er, *very* rare and may get something like a +900% price modifier even in the months where it's available). Oh, and more expensive units are worth more casualty / exit points.

For Quick Battles (not Scenarios / Operations; for these, the scenario designer does all the choosing), the battle itself has a point value. For instance, a 1000-point battle gives 1000 points to the defender, and 1000*some_ratio (depending on battle type, e.g. Assaults give more to the attacker than Attacks which give more than Probes) to the attacker. There are further limitations on how the points can be spread among Infantry, Support, non-armor Vehicles, Armor, Artillery/Aircraft, and Fortifications based upon force type.

And when you "import" the end game save file from your last quick battle, all units remain on the map in the state they were in that end game save file. This includes ammo load.

Now, you set all parameters for your new quick battle, but you have all the "old" units for free. So if you designed battle 2 to be a 1000 point attack, you will have 1000 points of "new" units plus your old on the map units.

The problem is that those units are pretty much worthless without ammo.

Being the one that Sarge is playing, I must agree with him. :D

The advantage of the imported map is that you have to conserve ammo and consider original ammo loads. I can assure you that neither I nor Sarge purchased SMG squads in the first of a four battle "operation". Coming up on the last battle in the series one of us might, but not before the last battle in the series.

What is the purpose of the recon squads with 63 ammo except for this kind of thing. The same is true with some of the Russian tanks having 80 HE rounds. This is of little value in a 20 turn QB but worth quite a bit in a 80 turn series.

It really is an exciting twist to the QB which I will use for as long as Sarge (or other pbemers) are willing.

Is it possible to import UNITS from a saved QB in progress? The manual seems to suggest it is, but I've had no luck. After importing the map from a saved QB, the option to import units does not present itself.

I suspect that an unfinished saved QB will not work when it comes to importing TROOPS from it to a new QB.

Treeburst155 out.

[ November 05, 2002, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

If I understand your question correctly, then I have done it many times. Save the battle, then in the next QB import the map from the savefile (which will be located in the save folder, not in the map folder where the program starts to look). A small box appears "Do you want to import units".

[ November 05, 2002, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Leutnant Hortlund ]

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

What I was trying to do was import troops to a QB from a saved QB that was saved in midgame. I don't think that works. Thanks for the reply.

Treeburst155 out.

While the manual explicitly mentions importing the final autosave a number of times, it does not explicitly say that importing a mid-game save will not allow you to import troops.

This should be fixed in the manual, I think, because while you can import a mid-game map, you cannot import mid-game troops with it.