Width of Don River--Akimovsky Bridge

For a scenario I am contemplating designing, I wonder if anyone out there has information or sources for information related to two facts:

1. What is the width, on average, of the Don River?

2. Where, exactly is the Akimovsky Bridge over the Don located?

(This was one of the many bridges used by Germans/Romanians retreating to the east(!!) in November 1942 in the face of the Russian onslaught encircling 6th Army).

Originally posted by manchildstein II:

does anyone know if this is this rostov?

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/maps/x-ussr/L-37-031.jpg

Nyet!

The large city you see in that map is actually Azov. To see Rostov you need to shift one tile to the East:

Map of Rostov

I find this site helpful in translating the Cyrillic letters to it's Roman equivalent:

Cyrillic translator

Originally posted by wwb_99:

Look at the Stalingrad Pak, Franko did a sweet operation--Failure on the Askay--that covers that battle.

WWB

Franko's operation is actually in December, and it's about the Germans abortive attempt to relieve the pocket. The one I want to do occurs in November, as the Romanian and Germans are fleeing the onslaught of 26th Tank Corps, which vectored to the Don south/SW via Perelazovsky/Ostrov/Kalach, while 4th Tank Corps vectored to the Don south and almost due west via Gromsky/Suchanov/Golubinsky, where 6th Army headquarters was located.

My plan is to do a semi-historical scenario, tentatively titled, "Escape to Annihilation" where a chaotic stream of Germans/Romanians are desperately trying to get across the Don River, in the horrid early winter conditions of wind and snow. The scenario will have exit zones for the Axis to the EAST(!)while the Russians are bearing down on them, destroying columns of men and material, while rag tag bands of Axis troops form ad hoc combat commands to hold them off as best they can.

Lots of destruction, death, and a race against the clock.

While the Berkeley maps are great for a general idea of the areas of Russia, one must remember that those maps are recent, ie 1970 and on. Some even to late 1980s. None of those maps are from the WWII era. Because of this, you may have areas that are more developed than they should be for the time, woods that are gone or reduced, but were much larger during WWII, and rivers that have changed their course, or width (due to damming), extensively since WWII.

[ December 21, 2002, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Grisha ]

i thought the berkeley maps were from '42?

at first i saw...

--Gauss-Krasovskii grid projection system based on Pulkovo 1942 datum Krasovskii spheroid--

now i see... it actually reads:

1972-2000

Gauss-Krasovskii grid projection system based on Pulkovo 1942 datum Krasovskii spheroid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so the '1942 datum krasovskii spheroid' in no way means the maps are from '42?... shucky darns...

makes sense though...

[ December 22, 2002, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: manchildstein II ]

Originally posted by manchildstein II:

i thought the berkeley maps were from '42?

at first i saw...

--Gauss-Krasovskii grid projection system based on Pulkovo 1942 datum Krasovskii spheroid--

now i see... it actually reads:

1972-2000

Gauss-Krasovskii grid projection system based on Pulkovo 1942 datum Krasovskii spheroid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so the '1942 datum krasovskii spheroid' in no way means the maps are from '42?... shucky darns...

makes sense though...

Exactly. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

i guess it was wishful thinking on my part... a couple of things should have clued me in (other than the 1970-2000 part which i apparently ignored):

1) the maps were free of charge

2) if they were made in '42, how did the soviets know what axis-occupied areas looked like?

3) the extensive waterworks - elaborate canal systems and such - shown in many of the maps...

come to think of it, these questions were bouncing around inside my head while i was downloading some of these maps... anyway the maps are quite interesting, even if they're the wrong dates...