Divisons

I'm never able to pick! I know exactly what "Combined Arms", "Mechanized", "Armor", and the like mean from CMBO, but the new division thing in CMBB can confuse me sometimes. "Security", "Calvarly", "Infantry", "Mountain" and the like has got me plenty confused as what to pick and how it's gonna affect my force. Any advice out there?

Experience, young Jedi will teach you much. Have patience and silence your mind...........

..........If that doesn't work, pick the sides for some tiny Quick Battles against the AI. Start with a couple of platoons or (if you are a really brave Jedi) a company size force and see what they do against each other. Use regular rifle infantry against rifle infantry followed by (maybe) airborne troops, etc... and then mix them up. Have panzergrenadiers face off against Soviet paratroopers.

As to your question about the Division thingee. smile.gif It's the same with CMBB as it was with CMBO. "Armor" seems to have been dropped and you can usually get tanks with "Infantry" and Mechanised" now. Cavalry units are the guys without the horseys, etc...

***My wish is for CMBB to have a selection that would pick QBs that use only armor. That's tanks and nothing else but tanks for Quick Battles, no matter how unhistorical that might be. (This is just a game after all.)

Lastly, pay attention while extensively browsing the different purchases that are possible. Use your imagination and you'll find what works best for you. The more you expose yourself to the purchasing screens (don't forget to close the curtains first), the better you'll feel.

smile.gif

[ December 06, 2002, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Le Tondu ]

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

***My wish is for CMBB to have a selection that would pick QBs that use only armor. That's tanks and nothing else but tanks for Quick Battles, no matter how unhistorical that might be. (This is just a game after all.)

Actually if the next game does include North Africa, this wouldn't be too ahistorical.

One problem is that I often don't see the difference between say, calvarly or airborne or security. Whenever I start a quick battle, their squads are usually identical to me. Is there really even a noteable difference besides the uniform?

Thanks for all your responses, guys. I really do appreciate any help.

Well this is something you can do yourself. Go to the unit purchasing screen, select the division in question, check out the weapons loadouts and what nots of the platoon/co/battallion whatever... compare them to there regular army counterparts. More than likely they are included to fill the historical accuracy pov, not neccessarily bring anything "new" to the table besides the chance of purchasing them, and cool new uniforms! smile.gif I could be wrong.

I'd suppose

Experience, young Jedi will teach you much

this is something you can do yourself

I could be wrong

presumably

probably

It sounds like:

a) There isn't a simple answer to your question, desertfox5768.

B) No one can quite articulate the complex answer either.

;)

Unit availability/rarity already varies by date and region. (And I presume the TOE's probably do to, I could be wrong.) So it's pretty hard to get a handle on from casual play.

I can tell you that, at least for some times/places you can remove the qualifiers from Silvio's post above. Tanks do have at least a different Rarity (if maybe not "lower" rarity in the case of every vehicle) in Mechanized divisions than in, say, Mountain divisions. And you do get more Armor points if you choose a Mechanized division. (But fewer Inf. points.)

You can often observe a big differences in the Support weapons avialble. In general "Infantry" or "Mechanized" have the most, and "Mountain" the least.

Most of the time (presumably, probably, AFAIK) non-Mechanized divisions share the same Armor rarities. In the special divsions (SS, Guards) the special tanks will be a bit less rare.

Along with the different uniforms and the different weapons mixes within squads (2 LMGs or 1, for instance), the Battalions and even Companies often have different weapons attached. That can make a big difference when you buy by the Battalion. (Hmm... I don't suppose Puppchen come with any G. Divisions, do they...?)

Finally, and I don't think anyone explicitly mentioned this here yet: In the Scenario Editor you can quickly switch between different Division types, which makes comparing them pretty easy. (Though you may still have to look carefully if the unit list is long.)

[ December 06, 2002, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]