Gaaak! CMBB will not reinstall - is it fixable?

Having just upgraded my system I'm reinstalling my old software and although everthing else is fine, CMBB gets to the same place every time and stops.

When extracting Wav\00091201.wav it hangs and gives the following message:

Read error

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

I guess the CD is damaged, but FWIW it doesn't look too bad to me.

If anyone can come up with a workaround or suggestions I'd be grateful, I need to get back to the steppes!

Thanks in advance.

D'oh! Thanks Wicky.

Unfortunately I bought a CD cleaner and had a frustrating hour tonite trying out all three of Matt's suggestions. None of them worked. Tommorrow nite I will take the CD drive out of my other PC and give that a go, but I 'aint holding my breath as it didn't like either of the two drives already in this machine.

Whatta b*gger :(

I had the same problem... the same message during the self extracting operation for some bmp files. I thought it was my cd and I bought another copy of CMBB but the problem still stays. And I dont think it's the antivirus program becouse I turned off it before install the game. I really dont know how I could play again with CMBB...

steiner65 - the problem is usually either something interfering with the install or a bad CD. Antivirus programs would be the most common culprit since they may attempt to 'scan' the files being installed as they're extracted. Depending on what the extraction program is doing this could lead to the 'CRC errors'. You may want to uninstall your antivirus and then install CMBB to see if it works. Afterwards you could reinstall your antivirus program.

Another thing to check is to make sure that nothing else is running while you're doing the installation. Try to close as many utilities as possible before installing.