German 337mm rockets??

Guest Mike

Does anyone have any info on these weapons?

I was aware of the 28/32cm rocket system - the 28cm being the HE version, the 32cm being teh incendiary one and usualy used in ratio of 1 per 5 28cm onces in the common "6-pack" launcher.

But I've never encountered or heard of a 337mm rocket.

I haven't checked the purchae screen because this is a scenario.

Unfortunately I can't check it right now - my boss doesn't like me playing games at aork!! smile.gif

But I'm pretty sure the observer info screen in the game lists them as 337mm also.

I'll check again in a couple of hours.

lol Michael - that's what I thought too!! :D

Thanks for the info guys - glad my memory isn't playing tricks with me .....well not in this instance at least.

So any ideas why they have these odd calibres??

Originally posted by Mike:

So any ideas why they have these odd calibres??

Without consulting any of my books on the subject (okay, so I'm too lazy to pull them out), that may have been their actual size and the other just a nominal size given to harmonize with the German accounting system. Or something...

I still think it's damned odd, whatever the reason.

Michael

I've found part of the answer - the 15cm rocket had an actual diameter of 158mm, the rocket launcher bore was 158.5mm.

But this was the only one that wasn't the nominal size - the 320 rocket was actually 320mm diameter, and the 28cm diameter was 280mm.

There was also a 300mm rocket with an actual diameter of 300mm, and the 21 cm rocket dameter was 210mm.

My source for this is the WW2 fact Files series by MacDonalds & Janes "Mortars and Rockets" volume.

Originally posted by Mike:

I just dropped a barrage of them on my opponent in a PBEM scenario.

I knew that. :D Nasty buggers. Too bad they didn't land short...

I'm trying to remember exactly why the odd designation, read it somewhere at 03:00 or somefink.

Those of you who know ther german language can read something about our german "Flammöl" (as we call it) on this site:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Waffen/raketenwerfer.htm

There are a few pics, too.

Some short facts:

Name "32cm Wurf-Körper Flamm"

Weight: 79kg

50 ltr Flammöl

Velocity 145m/s

Range 2200m

One grenade was enough to set about 200sqm on fire ;) .

hey Mike and Snarker, I assume you are playing the scenario I sent you? If you would like I have already created the sequel to that scenario and am about 30 min of work from it being finished. I applied some good advice I got from Mike to improve on the first, but it sounds like you two are at least having fun. I personally enjoy a scenario that a human put some time and heart into over any other. Anyways, when you are done with this one, if you would like to send me brief AARs I will customize the sequal to fit what happened in "Operation Resting Tiger" for you two to play. Things like the briefings and maybe a couple other things. The two scenarios are related in a surprising way.

I WON'T be offended if you don't want to. I'm just happy you played the first one. But the second one is REALLY nice and I think will be a lot of fun for anyone. The map is larger and better planned for both sides. It would be a real "blast".

Pakfan - yeah - the rocket had a capacity of 11 gallons (for us non-metric folk that's ENGLISH Gallons, not those pansy American ones).

the actual filling was not factory supplied, but could be anythign the unit wanted to pout into it - petrol and diesel were the most common!! This was ignited by a magnesium fuse.

MGA - yep - send it on in - I've got some more comments about the current one too!! smile.gif