A Word of Gratitude to so Many of You

Gentlemen, your responses to the scenarios and operations that the design group included with the game have been most gratifying.

As though of you who have gotten into scenario design already know, it is a long and sometimes painful process. It means the investment of a lot of time.

When your response is so postive, it makes it all worth while.

And I personally want to thank you for your support of my own efforts. To date I've been able to come up with around 20 scenarios and 2 Operations since the publication of the game. That plus the 16 or so that came with the game makes for a "heap" of fighting. biggrin.gif

Your suggestions, positive criticisms and comments have been both helpful and encouraging for this old warrior. You're a great group of gamers!

And what is coming?

Well, I've got a few simmering on the fire even now.

The Road to Manhay, quick play, small scenario.

To the Last Man, fierce German defense of a small town near Sword Beach.

Melee at Marvie, German attack to get to Bastogne and it's encounter with a US TF.

The Wrong Hill, encounter between Canadians and Meyer's panzers.

Bridgehead at Benicourt, German counterattack against advancing American armor and infantry

Blood and Bocage a deadly game of hide and seek in the hedgerows in June, 44...an outdoor version of Vossenack - A Second Job.

One Operation:

Task Force Butler at Montelimar - 5 battles as TF Butler encounters Germans of the 11th Panzer Division in southern France.

These will be posted at various sites during the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted here if you wish.

One more thing. Thanks to all the testers for their fine work. They are the guts of making these scenarios work for you.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Bill,

We're all grateful for your contributions! We who have tried our hand at constructing scenarios know how much effort goes into a good one! I've always enjoyed the ones you put together and look to them for examples when trying to put one together. You always seem to know just how to tickle the AI and provide an interesting challenge for two player. I can't wait to see your latest! For me, one of the satisfaction of scenario construct is putting together a convincing map. I've been searching and collecting satellite maps of areas in Germany I'm familiar with to use as a base for maps. I'd like to send you a map sometime as a blank canvas for a scenario! Maybe...Ruschberg Rumble...or...Baumholder Bash! Hay, anybody out there have a street map of Baumholder (kasern)?

GP

"After you've secured an area, don't forget to tell the enemy."

ah said it in the main forum WBW. After trying mah fat fingahs in scenario design I am in awe of yourself and most of the other folks who have at least tried to design one.

Yours always seem to be well balanced with maps being interesting.

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by groundpounder:

<snipped stuff> For me, one of the satisfaction of scenario construct is putting together a convincing map. I've been searching and collecting satellite maps of areas in Germany I'm familiar with to use as a base for maps. <snipped><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget to check universities for regional topo maps. I struck gold when I found 1:25000 scale maps of Belgium created in 1935. Now I need to invest in a portable scanner!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monticello:

Don't forget to check universities for regional topo maps. I struck gold when I found 1:25000 scale maps of Belgium created in 1935. Now I need to invest in a portable scanner!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hay Monticello,

Turn me on to the topo's! I'd love to have a look at the ones you have found. I have been trying to find electronic map formats that may lend themselves to being translated to CM. Now if BTS would just give me the map structure...

GP

WBW,

Haven't been around for a few days, due to workload, so here goes:

Your scenarios rock!

Thanks for makind a great game so much better. Whenever I first play one of your babies I know it's not gonna be easy.

Keep them coming and thanks a lot!

CoralSaw

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

Hi Bill,

I always appreciated your scenarios as you are able to put up a tactical balance between the forces engaged in a historical environment. That make the scenarios fun to play against AI.

However, as the main attraction of CM is the 3D-engine, I would appreciate if scenario designers paid a little more attention to the lay-out of their maps. As my site focuses on the Battle of the Ardennes several people did send me so called historical scenarios regarding the Bulge. Knowing the area quiet well, most of the time I get disappointed when I open them and find out that I cannot recognize a single landmark. Designers seem to be timid using the elevation-function in the editor and randomly dot the map with threepatches, hills and houses. Considering the scale that CM is working in, I esteem the location of specific landmarks and the relation to each other essential to an historical scenario.

So, I agree with groundpounder on the importance of creating convincing maps and encourage people to lay a hand on a topo-map of the specific area they're working on.

Should I tell you, that I am eager to see what you did to Marvie and Manhay ?...

Thanks for the addictive hours of suspense you've put together for us.

------------------

http://users.pandora.be/aneric/index8.htm#Projects

Bill,

I've corresponded with you (from my home email) recently in regards to the Red Devils Operation and its Victory Conditions being, IMO, somewhat vague for the 2 players. However, let me say that the action is very interesting and fun. We are on the 3rd battle and it looks pretty well balanced. With over 15 years of playing Advanced Squad Leader under my belt, the best scenarios/campaigns are the ones that are equally "winable" by either side provided that side understands his units and what they should be used for.

I'd love to try my hand in scenario design... I think I have like 20,000 ASL scenarios that could be converted to a CM format. At the very least, let me know if I can help in playtesting the ones you have- I've been doing that for years for ASL too.

Keep it up!

Andrew Young

ajy@open-sourcetech.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McAuliffe:

I would appreciate if scenario designers paid a little more attention to the lay-out of their maps. As my site focuses on the Battle of the Ardennes several people did send me so called historical scenarios regarding the Bulge. Knowing the area quiet well, most of the time I get disappointed when I open them and find out that I cannot recognize a single landmark. Designers seem to be timid using the elevation-function in the editor and randomly dot the map with threepatches, hills and houses. Considering the scale that CM is working in, I esteem the location of specific landmarks and the relation to each other essential to an historical scenario.

So, I agree with groundpounder on the importance of creating convincing maps and encourage people to lay a hand on a topo-map of the specific area they're working on.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

McAuliffe,

I think one reason for the lack of realistic topography is the scarcity of maps and photos of the required scale. I have spent a lot of time searching for topographic data without much luck ( with work and family my time is limited).

I would encourage everyone to share any knowledge of the where about of any good topographic maps (preferably free biggrin.gif). The scale required is 1:25,000 or better.

GP

[This message has been edited by groundpounder (edited 10-25-2000).]

My wargaming history goes back to the middle 60s when my first games were AK and Midway from AH.

From there I purchased every game that they produced as soon as it came out...all of them. I remember there was a legal little game they produced where you took the role of a lawyer. I can't remember the name of it.

When Squad Leader came out, I think I must have been one of the "first kids on the block" to get it.

In fact, the first group of "Wild Bill's Raiders" designed a Pacific variant for the original SL. It was well received, with over 30 scenarios, even counters (that you had to cut and paste).

It was finally featured in the old "Wargamer" magazine in 1983 and AH got very upset about it. In fact they made all kinds of legal threats. We were not making money with it, but that is a long story.

So I gave AH the copyright and the material. It made me sad and bitter for a while. That coupled with a divorce and I walked away from wargaming for five years.

I even sold my collection of over 300 wargames from AH, SPI, Battlefront, GDW, and a host of others, plus all my issues of the General for $300. Man, I wish I had not done that rolleyes.gif

Now AH is gone and I'm still here...ironic, isn't it?

Later I became fast friends with the old AH crowd then at Talonsoft where I had the opportunity to work with them...names we all know, Bob McNamara, Charles Kibler and others.

I say all that to simple say that SL/ASL were "my" games. I mean by that it was the best game I ever played.

But now with computers, electronic gaming and my deterioriating vision, I am back in business again biggrin.gif.

Ramblings of an old man. Forgive me.

Certainly, if you are interested in giving a helping hand, I'd love to have your expertise!

Look for a private e-mail. In the meantime, go ahead with your urge. Scratch the itch. Give it a try.

Play with the editor first, just play with it. Get a feel for it. Make some maps, pick some units, see how it works. Get a good understanding of the parameters.

When you feel comfortable with it, try a simple scenario. Play it. See what you did wrong. Improve it. Fine tune it. Send it to a friend. Let him play it. See what he thinks.

Always save and save often. This is the primary WBR rule for design...SAVE! Nothing more heart-rending than seeing 3 hours work disappear in a power outage or a frozen screen eek.gif

I look forward to your handiwork

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

[This message has been edited by Wild Bill Wilder (edited 10-25-2000).]

MAPS MAPS AND MORE MAPS!!

I am a re-entry student at CSU Chico, I have spent countless of hours puoring through their collection of maps in the Library. I now have maps throughout Beligium and France, Now I am concentrating on CM2 maps and switching my reading to the Russian Campaigns.

Your local libray is a great source if they have a collection of maps. If they do not have the one you are looking for you can do a search here and order from someone that has them for sale, then your time is worth getting the ones you want sent to you in the mail.

As for ideas, I have been lucky in finding books and atlas that have accurate maps at used book stores too.

For scenario building I think all you can do is start working witht the editor and creating maps, get use to all the features and shortcuts that are posted throughout the forum using the editor. Like WB says, save as often as possible, I lost 5 hours of map work one day and I had an incredible map lost. I almost through my monitor across the room after that. Now I save after I preview my map every time.

Wild Bill, What can I say I too did the same as you and bought everything and sold everything....urrrrrrrrrrrgh.. Now starting over. My dream for CM would to see if engine can move to Civil War or Waterloo, I still have over 1000 of my 10,000 figures in storage that I handpainted some 30 years ago and remember the wonderful time of moving them around my grid painted garage floor for weeks at a time!

Michael

I know! I still have my 10,000 or so 25mm or 1/72 scale figures, all handpainted, from Roman times to Desert Storm, companies or battalions of Roman legions, Huns and Barbarians, Knights, serfs, Napoleonic, Civil War, old West, British 19th Century with Zulu and Arabs, WW1, WW2, including Germany, Japan, US, USMC, France, Russia, etc. and on to Desert Storm and modern cold war figures. It includes all of the old ESCI, Airfix, Revell and Fujimi figures and others.

It was a project that took seven years to complete (1986-1993). Now I'm looking for a place to sell them or give them away. I just can't use them anymore with this poor eyesight. I had the opportunity to do some beautiful dioramas with these, but that is now history.

I was fortunate enough to sell my 5,000 1/285 miniatures. I lost money...but I didn't just get nothing in return.

My only salvation now is the computer and the wargames here. My modeling days, I fear, have come to an end.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com