allies

Will it be possible to design a scenario where, for example, German and Rumanian troops are fighting against the Russians. I would have used Finns as an example, but everyone knows they wouldn't need the help. And trying it with Magyars and Rumanians wouldn't work; they'd end up shooting at each other. Seriously Geman units were sometimes assigned to allied formations to stiffen them a bit.

Not to argue with what Schrullenhaft said, I am really skeptical that the mixing occurred on a scale that would show up in a CM game. I don't think you were apt to find a German platoon in a Rumanian company, unless it were purely due to happenstance (i.e., the two forces got mingled in a retreat). So, while it is nice to have the capability in the game, I would humbly suggest that people be judicious in its use.

Michael

[ August 01, 2002, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Originally posted by gatpr:

I would have used Finns as an example, but everyone knows they wouldn't need the help.

Actually we did need help. But the thing is our leaders did not trust the German troops (in combat or to be present near the capital to facilitate a coup when the armistice was signed). We were glad to get the weapons though.

There were no German troops in the Ishmus (facing Leningrad) from 1941 to 1944. Stug abteilung 330 (IIRC) and some infantry arrived to bolster the defences in the Isthmus in 1944 but they were used as back up behind the lines after the fall of Viipuri in case the Red Army happened to break through at Ihantala. The only major action the infantry engaged in was to fight back an invasion across the bay of Viipuri. And even that they did laced by some Finnish troops. The Stugs saw some action (enough to remark the Finnish infantry was not very good at combined arms operations, which is true since the troops they fought alongside with had never fought having tanks help them ever before).

What we also used was the CAS given by the Detachment Kuhlmey (mainly Ju-87's and FW190's). This was VERY crucial in the dire days of the Soviet assault in 1944.

So, we did ask for help. But what was needed was mainly the new infantry AT weaponry and CAS (which the FAF was not really equipped to give properly). The German troops sent up were not posted in the immediate front line because the Finnish leaders feared they would not be as resilient as Finnish troops.

Originally posted by tero:

So, we did ask for help.

Also, in Lapland there was a big horde of Jerries alongside with some Finnish units who were under German command. In some cases they worked closely, at least close enough for Finns to draw friendly fire from their brothers-in-arms.

Of course, I don't know how often Finnish forces cooperated with Rumanians and Hungarians... ;) But I recall that there's going to be different fronts (north, center, south or sumpfink) with differing OOB's, so you can't really mix them in all possible ways.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Yes, you can design a scenario to have more than one nationality present on the battlefield (Romanian & German, Hungarian & German, etc.).

Great news; a scenario with just one na tionality on the whole battlefield would be a bit boring I think. :D