why...

....doesnt captains etc have a better chance of having higher bonuses than junior officers? You would think , in reality, that the more senior the officer ON AVERAGE that they would possess higher bonuses (especially moral or command). Ok Ive known officers in real life who have the persona and ability of a piece of roadkill, but Im taking average here. Should this be reflected in the game? I would also have thought that elite units (Fallschirmjager etc) would also have a better than average officer when compared to reg infantry. Thoughts?

Originally posted by Pud:

....doesnt captains etc have a better chance of having higher bonuses than junior officers? You would think , in reality, that the more senior the officer ON AVERAGE that they would possess higher bonuses (especially moral or command). Ok Ive known officers in real life who have the persona and ability of a piece of roadkill, but Im taking average here. Should this be reflected in the game? I would also have thought that elite units (Fallschirmjager etc) would also have a better than average officer when compared to reg infantry. Thoughts?

well, im cm the higher up officer is good only for spotting for units or taking the place of dead hqs. doesn't mean he can lead the squads better.

and the experience is not based on the organization. so americans are not more heroic than germans, and ss are not better than volkstrum: you can have vet volk and vet ss. but to sim real life you want vet ss and green volk.(generally)

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

I think the only difference is that Company and Battalion HQs are more likely to have Command and Morale bonuses, while Platoon HQs are more likely to have Combat and Stealth, as per the manual.

But wouldnt it be that senior officers add to the bonuses achieved during their junior ranks, rather than being replacing them.

Elite - I was refering to branch not experience. Airborn tended to be more selective in their recruitment and this would also be reflected in the selection of their officers?

My opinion is that each level should have a default increase in bonus, ie a Company HG is always better than a Platoon HQ. Better yet would be to have more than three different steps, then this could be made visible.

Second, I think that Platoon HQs should suffer a penalty when the Company HQ is eliminated or when only one or two members of the HQ squad is remaining.

I assume there are some heavy changes in C&C in CMBB, as this was rather different for the russians.

stealth, morale, effective firing and even command are all dependant on how well the leader knows his men.

a captain (comapny Co) usually has less intimate knowledge of a single soldier than the platoon leader of the platoon in which the soldier is.

If the leader knwos his soldiers, then he knows how to employ them effectively.

therefore, even if a CPT as such might have better experience and abilities than a LT, he is usually less able to transfer this unto the soldiers under his command.

You all seem to forget that we are not talking about arbitrary numbers and ratios here but people with variable skills and abilities and relationships with those they command.

It would be totally unrealistic to set some sort of default progression of abilities for HQ's the higer up the chain of command you go as it would have no parallel with reality.

I know of several friends that are Platoon Commanders that would probably be MORE effective if they were somehow removed from there chain of command to their Company Commander.

Face it, sometimes leaders just plain suck regardless of rank and thats why it is common in CM to sometimes see a platoon leader with great stats while a Battalion or Company Commander does not.

It has even been suggested on more than one occasion to model NEGATIVE modifiers, but I am not sure if we will ever go that far or not.

Madmatt