Need graphics card advice for CMBB/CMAK!!

André

Hi

I am about to update my computer rig and I am thinking about purchasing an ATI RADEON 9600 PRO.

I know there are some issues with the CMBB engine and Radeon cards. Does this mean that the game is unplayable? It most certainly will do better than my good old Geforce 2, right?

The reason for going Radeon is of course the large performance gap between it and Geforce FX in Halflife 2.

Let me know the current situation please.

Regards,

André

Hi Jeff!

I guess we will wait and see...

PS: Watch out for 256mb Radeon 9600 cards, they are ususally fitted with slower memory than their 128mb counterparts. Make sure to check the memory speed. A 128mb card with fast memory is usually faster than a 256mb with slower memory.

I am probably going for the RADEON 9600 PRO 128mb "Fireblade E". It has faster than normal memory. (350mhz I think)

;)

André

I recommend a Geforce Ti4600 128mb 4xAGP using driver version 30.82.

This card will get you several things when playing Combat Mission:

- Good graphics (Including Fog)

- Speed/Horsepower

- No driver issues/problems in reference to

playing CM

There are many different manufacturers that make the card. I just saw a Chaintech version of this card on Zipzoomfly.com for $194.00.

About the same price as the ATI 9600 give or take $20.00.

Good Luck!

As it seems that you'll be using the card for other things apart from CMBB, then the Radeon will probably serve you well.

Two points to note regarding Radeons and CMBB: no fog, and you may have to turn AA off to prevent the white text in a white text box problem.

IF i may give you a tip:

never believe in companies and their promises.

Because i bought a card a few days ago, i informed myself a bit and there is an interesting rumor:

the company making HalfLife2 made an auction between ATI and nVidia. ATI payed more...

I don't know if that is true, or a lie.

What counts is, that it would make sense.

If you want a good card for HL2, wait until HL2 is out a few weeks.

If you want to be future-proof for DX9 games, wait for the next GPU generation. The current GPUs are too slow anyway.