Variable Rarity

My fault for not being clearer. I meant, how much can a unit's points slide up and down the rarity scale for different games?

In other words, a Brumbar might have a penalty rating of 100% on one variable rarity game and 125% on another. What's the range a unit can slide up and down this scale? And is it the same for all units?

Okay...just to prove to you that I'm not the most laziest person in the world, I just ran a few tests. I'm seeing differences as much as 120% in some cases. In my opinion, no unit should fluctuate more than 10% in price.

How much you wanna bet people are using this to their advantage? Looks like we have a new way to cherry pick in CMBB...

[ December 06, 2002, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Colonel_Deadmarsh ]

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Okay...just to prove to you that I'm not the most laziest person in the world, I just ran a few tests. I'm seeing differences as much as 120% in some cases. In my opinion, no unit should fluctuate more than 10% in price.

How much you wanna bet people are using this to their advantage? Looks like we have a new way to cherry pick in CMBB...

That's what it's for innit. To represent that while a certain vehicle might be rare in general terms, but that your unit happens to have half a dozen of them just waiting to be shot to pieces in the upcoming battle.

Variety is the spice of life and such.. smile.gif

[ December 06, 2002, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Foxbat ]

Why? So you're trying to say that a Panzer IIC that is -5% rare in June 41 should NOT go up to 200% by June 44? You said 10% max, but besides my extreme example, something like a Panther should start out extremely rare in July 43, but be commonplace (zero rarity) by say July 44.

I see your point about cherry picking- a gamey player will pick his favorite month, i.e. months where aircraft or tanks are common.

[ December 06, 2002, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

[QB]Okay...just to prove to you that I'm not the most laziest person in the world, I just ran a few tests. I'm seeing differences as much as 120% in some cases. In my opinion, no unit should fluctuate more than 10% in price.

I strongly disagree.

While Rare units didn't appear often, sometimes they _did_ appear. (Thus "Rare", not "Absent".) A low Rarity in a Variable Rarity game can be thought of representing a time when the unit is present. Ie, when a player will actually buy the unit because there isn't a big honkin' Rarity "tax" on the unit.

Automatically selected forces in VR games use that to good effect, giving a nice historical flavor to games, but retaining some variation.

There are some other things you can do with Variable Rarity... with a trusted opponent, at least. If you don't have a trusted opponent, I advise you to find another one. Cheap advice? Yeah - But, to be frank, I'd rather you were inconvenienced than lose ("loose") the present system. (In fact, I hope the Rarity factors vary up 100% of the Rarity rating.)

Finally, if you want no more than a 10% difference why bother selecting Variable Rarity at all? You can just use Standard.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Why? So you're trying to say that a Panzer IIC that is -5% rare in June 41 should NOT go up to 200% by June 44? You said 10% max, but besides my extreme example, something like a Panther should start out extremely rare in July 43, but be commonplace (zero rarity) by say July 44.

No, I mean that it's fluctuating up to 120% in the same year and location. If it were for different years, then sure, that would make sense. But someone can simply re-start a setup until they get the desired percentages they want based on other parameters set up and their basic likes/strengths in units.

[ December 07, 2002, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Colonel_Deadmarsh ]

But someone can simply re-start a setup until they get the desired percentages they want based on other parameters set up and their basic likes/strengths in units.

It's true. You can cheat like that in PBEM. Blame the flawed way CM sets up games. :mad:

If this bothers you overly, then just use fixed rarity or no rarity at all. After all, if unit rarity never varied much from game to game it would essentially be fixed rarity anyway.