new member and a question about the FG-42

Those 1/6 scale pictures of those FG42s are toys for a series of action figures Dragon produces. Matter of fact, I broke down and got some when I saw them in my local hobby store.

If you think Dragon's FG42s are nice, you should see their MG42s outfitted with a tripod and all the trappings.

Originally posted by Fieldmarshall:

You must remember that guy is a RC, and he isn't using live ammo. Muzzle flash that is real and bad is not as bad as that, on most weapons firing live ammo, the flame doesn't get out the barrel half the time, just smoke and heat.

I have to disagree. Maybe it's the cheap Chineese ammo I use, but my SKS shoots a flame, visible in low light (like in dense woods). Spits out about 6-8 inches, but not nearly as bright as the one in the photo. I have a muzzle brake on it, and you can see some of the flash directed up/back as well. The only thing I've ever seen that shoots a flame like the photo, is black powder, but that's a whole different story.

Originally posted by R_Leete:

Mensch, where did you get those pictures? Is this a model kit, and how much? I would love to have one of those over the mantle. Wife might think different, but I'll take my chances.

I do believe it's from the Dragon brand of collectable figures.

Mace

Thanks, Mace. Mensch already e-mailed me the link. I had missed that they were 1/6 scale, though. I'd like something larger. Maybe I'll try to carve one!

[ March 16, 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: R_Leete ]

I used to see ads in military magazines for demilitarized/non-firing replicas some years back. Don't recall any FG42s, but they might have had some. Haven't seen those ads for a while though, so I don't know if the company is still around. Be prepared to shell out if they are though, AIR the automatic weapons cost about the same as a lower range used car.

Michael

Here is some info on the FG 42 from the US War Dept.'s Handbook on German Military Forces, p.313. Because it was written shortly before VE Day, the info may not be 100% accurate. But it is interesting nonetheless:

"Although German nomenclature indicates that this rifle is intended to be an automatic weapon for use by parachute troops, it also can be used as a light machine gun or a machine carbine. The weapon is designed more like a light machine gun than a rifle. It is gas operated, fitted with a permanently attached folding bipod, and can be fired automatically or single shot. A compensator is attached to the muzzle, and provision is made for the attachment of a telescopic sight. A bayonet also is attached. The magazine is held in a horizontal position on the left of the receiver. The aperture rear sight is graduated from 100 to 1200 meters. The safety is located on the left side above the pistol grip, and the lever for selecting automatic or single shot fire is placed above and to the rear of the trigger. A later model of this weapon, slightly heavier and more solidly constructed, has the bipod closer to the muzzle.

"Standard 7.92 mm ammunition is used in this weapon."

Weight, incidentally, was nine pounds, the same as the Kar 98.

According to p. 132 of the text, each 39-man parachute rifle platoon carried 9 SMG and 6 LMG, although it does not mention type (or if they consider FG 42 as LMG or SMG).