Tip for Beginners...

..like me.

1. Choose a scenario that has been recommended to you and that you think you will find appealing.

2. Select Full or whatever is recommended by the author.

3. Then play...but here's the rub...write down before each turn WHAT action you took, WHY you did so and then after you have seen the result record what happened. Repeat until the end and then write your own summary.

I found that keeping the log going at the same time (ALT+TAB gets you to desktop where presumably you have your Word processor) helps concentrate the mind and makes the whole process much more enjoyable.

Just a thought that worked for me.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I'm a bit too lazy to actually write out the motives for my actions turn by turn (though I know some others keep a running log), but one thing I always try to do throughout a scenario and particularly at the end is analyze it in a tough-minded, objective way to discover my mistakes and at the same time to figure out what worked well. If you keep learning from mistakes--what actions to avoid and what to do instead-- and keep optimizing tactics that work well, you can't help but improve over time.

For what it's worth, the keys to being a good CM player in my opinion are (in order of increasing importance and difficulty):

1. Learning how to optimally use each of your individual resources (weapons, troops, tanks, arty, etc.)

2. Learning how to use your different resources in effective combination (aka, combined arms tactics).

3.Learning how to read and exploit terrain.

4. Learning how to ANTICIPATE accurately situations that have not yet arisen, by reading what is visible on the battlefield, and using other evidence, such as scenario briefings or knowledge of your opponent, and deciding how to respond most effectively to these events that you foresee.

The best commanders (Wreck comes to mind) have this fourth skill--a skill of a very high order-- and learning to develop it is one of the purposes of the proposed self-analysis.

I also have found the CD scenarios less than satisfying which is why I recently posted a request for other peoples favourites. That got a fair response and I am enjoying all of those that I have so far tried.

I also am a tad lazy but as I find writing fairly easy and I am impetuous to say the least, this method helps stop me from dashing ahead without thought

I'm not sure that that is any great loss. I was trying out a new scenario for a friend the otherday and after I had suffered a tactical defeat I tried it again but this time letting the AI place the defences. I lost once again and went to see what how the AI would make placements (with no FOW) and discovered to my amazement that it had placed three pilboxes at the extreme edge of the terrain (where no one would ever go) and even more incredible the pillboxes were facing each other :eek: :eek: :eek: Maybe the AI was so brilliant that it decided it could beat me with one hand tied behind its back and I have to admit the other placements were smart.