Hungarian voices in CMBB

No great drama but I have a friend who speaks Hungarian and I let him hear some of the Hungarian voices in CMBB.

He told me that in the instances where they are meant to be using the word "fire" as "fire your weapon", they are using an inappropriate version of the word "fire".

The word in question phonetically sounds like "two" and "twoz".

Examples are

00050400.wav

00050401.wav

00050500.wav

00050501.wav

00050502.wav

00050503.wav

00050100.wav

00050101.wav

00050200.wav

00050201.wav

00050300.wav

Can anyone verify this?

Cheers

Lt Bull

[ November 04, 2002, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Lt Bull ]

Originally posted by Lt Bull:

No great drama but I have a friend who speaks Hungarian and I let him hear some of the Hungarian voices in CMBB.

He told me that in the instances where they are meant to be using the word "fire" as "fire your weapon", they are using an inappropriate version of the word "fire".

Lt Bull

I can't verify it, but I will point out that just because someone speaks a language today, doesn't make them an expert on military jargon from 60 years ago. Do a search on the German "Stopfen" and you will see what I mean...or doolally tap, for that matter....not saying your friend is wrong, but he'd have a bit more veracity if he was actually a Hungarian soldier. Is he?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lt Bull:

Lt Bull

I can't verify it, but I will point out that just because someone speaks a language today, doesn't make them an expert on military jargon from 60 years ago. Do a search on the German "Stopfen" and you will see what I mean...or doolally tap, for that matter....not saying your friend is wrong, but he'd have a bit more veracity if he was actually a Hungarian soldier. Is he?</font>

Originally posted by AnonymousOxide:

I speak Hungarian, but hell if I can write Hungarian. But yeah, "twoz" (or 'tooz) means fire.

This seems to be exactly what he thinks was the problem. He too said "twoz" (or 'tooz) does literally mean "fire", but it is inappropriate for the intended use in CMBB.

I am checking back with him again, but I think he said a word that sounds like "lurg" is more appropriate.

He is was/is not in the Hungarian army, but his late father was. Actually survived POW camp in Siberia.

Lt Bull

Oh I see what your friend's getting at. What he's suggesting is that even though "tooz" does mean fire in Hungarian, it isn't what should be yelled by the Hungarians as the equivalent of 'fire!' in Enlish.

I was just thinking how strange it sounded. The best I can describe it is that it sounds like an American yelling 'camp fire!' in English.

Oh christ, it just hit me. I believe it is wrong because if I were out shooting with my Hungarian friends, I would tell the next person up something like 'te kel lueyell' (you have to shoot). So what the Hungarians are supposed to be yelling is 'lueyell', which is the equivelant of fire or shoot.

Man this language is difficult, so excuse my added confussion, I'll have to do a search on google. So far it's possible that they are both right, or the one being used is wrong.

[ November 04, 2002, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: AnonymousOxide ]

That is exactly what he told me. I is like saying "fire" as in "camp fire", and hence the possibility that the translation was done by someone who does not natively speak Hungarian.

Lt Bull

[ November 04, 2002, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Lt Bull ]

Okay, things are starting to emerge. I found a Hungarian-to-English online dictionary:

http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian

Go ahead and look up Fire, and you'll come up with well... a lot of stuff. I think I'm more confused then ever now.

Look at 'fire away!' 'Kie Vele' is the equivelent, and I believe the Hungarians already yell that in the game.

OK. I have more information. My friend actually checked it out with his Hungarian mother as well (she was in Budapest in WW2).

Basically, there is not one generic word for like we have in English for "fire" as in an order to discharge a weapon. Depending on the weapon, the word can be different.

eg. An infantry commander would not use the same word(s) to instruct his units to fire as would a tank commander.

He now says that the "tooz" version is not completely incorrect when refering to firing an artillery-like gun but It may require an additional suffix though, depending on the circumstances. He did say that "tooz" it is not correct for small arms fire.

I am not sure of what circumstances each of the different Hungarian WAV files are meant to be EXACTLY associated with (eg. a tank commander ordering his gunner to fire the main gun at another tank, as opposed to an AT-gun firing at a tank). Does anyone know if this has been worked out for the voice WAV files? Perhaps intentions behind the WAVs for the other less ambigious languages can be matched to the equivalent Hungarian WAV files.

Anyways, my friend has said he would check them out and will make MODs for any which may not be quite right.

In keeping with the quest for historical accuracy.... tongue.gif

Lt Bull

Hi Boys!

I AM Hungarian and I speak very well, becouse I live Hungary. And the hungarian voices in CMBB are very correct in hungarian syntax. BUT, I think them not too correct to WW2 hungarian military slang.

My grandfather - I posted he's story and photo in this forum (topic name: Hungarian arty) - was a hungarian officer in WW2 and he told me a lot of story, but never say something like "fire to the APC" or "gunner, fire to the truck". But the CMBB hungarian voices said that.

He - my grandfather - said, if he targeted something, shout: "végeztem, hatszáz" (I finish, six hundred) (it's mean: I finish the targeting, and the distace is 600 meters).

By the way... the problem of 'military correctness' of the terms used is present also in a couple of Italian .WAWs.

The voice says "Sissignore!" for "Yes Sir!" but the correct military term should be "Signorsì!".

Likewise, the voice that warns that a grenade was thrown in says "Granata!", but in Italian "granata", strictly speaking means "shell", the Italian for "hand grenade" is "bomba a mano".

Regards,

Amedeo

I'm Hungarian too. There is only one case in which I got a little nervous:

the broken troops say "a francba" which means something like "damn". The problem is that this word was "born" in modern days - in the '70s or so.

Me and many Hungarian CMBB fans would be happy if we could help this problem - re-recording them personally or just telling oppinions about them.

(The voice actor is quite bad, too. He sounds like a graduating teen:)

I think the CM is the best: everybody can make MODs and can change the voices if he/she don't like the original. I'll made own hungarian voices. E.g. I'll change the "we are surrounded" to "the russians are already in the cupboard" :) from the famous hungarian war movie "Corporal and the others..." :))) You know...