What can kill a pillbox?

Tanks can, either with a lucky firing slit penetration or flanking the PB and blasting the back door off. The Churchill AVRE is especially good at taking out a PB with it's petard mortar. Best to smoke the PB and run your tanks behind it.

Engineers with demo charges are effective, as are zook and Piat teams (although the latter really have to work their way around and hit from the rear). Flamethrowers can make the crew bail out of the PB.

Arty is not really effective at killing the PB, but it will chase any protecting infantry away, making the job of your PB killer teams much easier.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

Engineers with demo charges are effective, as are zook and Piat teams (although the latter really have to work their way around and hit from the rear). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plain vanilla infantry squads (and even HQs)can KO pillboxes, too, although it may take a turn or two or three of lobbing grenades to do the job (usually one or two if they're not suppressed). Get 'em within 40m of the rear or sides, but not closer than, say 10m. I think they try to engage it in hand-to-hand or somefink that close.

Of course, a common tactic is to arrange the defenses to cause trouble for anyone trying to sneak up behind a pillbox--say, by MGs/infantry/mines/wire/TRPs arranged to cover its backside. Smoke, smoke and smoke will help you out! And please take my advice on this lesson-learned-the-hard-way: always check that you pressed "K" for your smoke barrage, not "T". There should be a white line pointing at the target, not a yellow one.

Agua Perdido

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

If grenades thru the backdoor will kill a pillbox, does a sharpshooter carry grenades?

Curious Toad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i havnt played forever, but i have never seen a sharpshooted through a grenade at anything. did sharpshooters carry grenades? i sure would of, you never know . . .

I think high rate of fire is the key and the best crews you can buy. 5 stuarts all popping up at the same time will take down a pillbox right quick.

Too bad there aren't any pillboxes for the Whirblewind(sp?) to shoot at. It would probably do a fine job.

I wonder what the highest ROF allied vehicle is. Anyone know?

- xerxes

Interesting! I must just be lucky/unlucky with bunkers. I quit buying them, because I have never had one last more then about 3 rounds/shots. It doesn't seem to mater what is shooting, 37-155mm between 1-3 shots and bunker abandoned. If fact played a QB last night and it had a MG-Bunker and a sharpshooter took it out all by himself, only 1 shot. :confused:

Yeah gotta out flank them. Which is easier said than done. SURE!! their stationary. But getting out of there field of fire is usually a chore (smoke) and then what is lurking in the woods around them?

Rushing a pill box head on sure looks great in the movies, but in real life (and in CM) it's a real good way to get your troops dead.

Nedlam