Is Combat Mission No Longer Going To Be King?

Hi Fellas,

Long time CM player here. I took a look at this new game comming out next month (yeah...right) called G.I. Combat. It looks like CM but it is real time. I guess it is a combo of CM and CC. I have to admit that this appeals to me. No more planning out with unrealistic detail each "turn". Even though I am a CM lover for life this new dynamic time-critical style should be a nice change. Imagine your enemy commander panicing in REAL LIFE because your boys came over a rise in landscape that he never expected you to! I imagine him trying to redeploy his troops while his hand shakes and his positions are over-run! I just hope that it is done right. I didn't think that the CC series was all that realistic but maybe there was improvement. They will, however, model each individual soldier. From what I read you will control each squad as a whole unit. You can also enter and fight inside of bunkers and buildings! One story only though. Battles will be understrength company size with about 100-200 troops per side. Maps can be up to 800 meters square I think. I imagine more than that would just be too much to control in realtime (the obvious limitation of this style of play). I also hope the game isn't just a clickfest. Anyway....the site is www.gicombat.com for anyone who wants to see it.

[ June 26, 2002, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Lanzfeld ]

Hmm...I actually don't know too much about this game, and I can't access any of the Gamespot information (I need a new source of game information) but here's my feeling.

Unless the player can pause the action, this will almost certainly become a clickfest as players scramble to keep 100+ troops moving and fighting. Ever play Baldur's Gate or Diablo or something similar? Imagine playing such a game with 100 characters to control in real-time.

Next, the small size of the battlefields is necessarily going to severely limit what you can and can't do. Wide flanking maneuvers will be very tough to pull off.

I foresee very simplistic rules for support weapons (off-board arty, air support, infantry guns) and limited physics model (IIRC soldiers and have "health bars")

DjB

Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

Hi Fellas,

Long time CM player here. I took a look at this new game comming out next month (yeah...right) called G.I. Combat. It looks like CM but it is real time. I guess it is a combo of CM and CC. I have to admit that this appeals to me. No more planning out with unrealistic detail each "turn". Even though I am a CM lover for life this new dynamic time-critical style should be a nice change. Imagine your enemy commander panicing in REAL LIFE because your boys came over a rise in landscape that he never expected you to! I imagine him trying to redeploy his troops while his hand shakes and his positions are over-run! I just hope that it is done right. I didn't think that the CC series was all that realistic but maybe there was improvement. They will, however, model each individual soldier. From what I read you will control each squad as a whole unit. You can also enter and fight inside of bunkers and buildings! One story only though. Battles will be understrength company size with about 100-200 troops per side. Maps can be up to 800 meters square I think. I imagine more than that would just be too much to control in realtime (the obvious limitation of this style of play). I also hope the game isn't just a clickfest. Anyway....the site is www.gicombat.com for anyone who wants to see it.

It does not run on a Mac so it will never be the King of my Hard Drive.

CMBB will be out sometime (soon :confused: ?) and it will be the next and only game I purchase until I see some possible "distraction" I might be interested in next Christmas!

-tom w