A "gamey" question for CMBB

While playing the Yelnia Stare Demo, I too had to adapt to the fact that my conscripts werent going to get very far just running headlong into the German lines. What I did to adapt was this; when ever German infantry were spotted by my conscripts I would immediately target as many as my troops as I could on the spotted Germans and lay down tremendous fire on them until the Germans broke and ran. Now, I being the non-grog or, "grog lite" as some might say, and not knowing everything there is to know about the history of WW2 and military tactics as it applies to any given military, realized that this might be gamey (Alot of what I learn is from this forum). I have always been of the mind if your not bending the rules your not trying hard enough ( I dont cheat but I dont mind finding the fine line). I am an honorable man and like to do things the right way and I understand the concept of relative spotting and the problem of applying it to computer gaming. I also understand that the Russians used human waves. Would it have been more appropriate (historically accurate) to use smoke or rely more on my armor to advance my troops or is the ok to do as I did as mentioned above? Hmmmmm? Enquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

The other Matt

[ September 27, 2002, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: gunnersman ]

Originally posted by redwolf:

You shoot the enemy units? How gamey...

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I would pour everything I had on to those spotted Germans with my conscript infantry as well as HMG's, mortars and tanks and insults. smile.gif Would that just be considered one big base of fire? I mean, I would use every friggin conscript that was with in sight no matter how far.

OK, seriously, so that gunnersman doesn't think I want to make fun of him.

This is undisputedly OK. In fact I think it reflect conscript tactics very well, because a common problem with low-trainign soldiers is that they fire all their ammo on the first target in sight, everybody at once.

Originally posted by gunnersman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

You shoot the enemy units? How gamey...

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I would pour everything I had on to those spotted Germans with my conscript infantry as well as HMG's, mortars and tanks and insults. smile.gif Would that just be considered one big base of fire? I mean, I would use every friggin conscript that was with in sight no matter how far.</font>

The only "gamey" thing is the borg-spotting that allows a whole regiment to instantly know where one "machine gun?" is...dunno how this works in Extreme FOW mode, haven't tried it yet.[/QB]
That is exactly what I am refering to in more than a few words. smile.gif I was actually using plain ol' FOW at the time.

Thanks gentlemen,

The other Matt.

Originally posted by gunnersman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The only "gamey" thing is the borg-spotting that allows a whole regiment to instantly know where one "machine gun?" is...dunno how this works in Extreme FOW mode, haven't tried it yet.

That is exactly what I am refering to in more than a few words. smile.gif I was actually using plain ol' FOW at the time.

Thanks gentlemen,

The other Matt.[/QB]</font>

I'm currently playing the same scenario PBEM.

I'm the Russians and I'm enjoying the same success (so far). (Knocks on wood.)

I've puddle-jumped my battalion forward across the whole width of the map. Tanks and MG's and Mortars in support positions.

As soon as the Germans show themselves I let 'em have it with everything I got. Except for a couple of platoons that run forward under the covering fire to the next good cover. These platoons will take over the covering fire for the platoons running up next.

I even started shelling likely locations for germans positions before I spotted any. Since these T-34's have PLENTY of HE. (GRIN!)

EFOW is great! I feel like I'm really fighting a realistic battle.

So far the feared and improved MG's have not had much of an effect on my troopers. With the volume of incoming fire directed at them, they only manage a few bursts before eating the dirt.

FUN FUN FUN FUN!!!!

smile.gif

Gpig

Gunnersman

Typically,target indications and fire control orders are issued by commanders in combat. Picture this is happening when you order your troops to fire using your mouse:

Platoon Commander loads tracer and shouts

"Platoon, 300m, aixs, slightly right, enemy MG at base of tree, watch my fall of shot"

fires tracer at MG and then orders

"Platoon Fire" or "Sustained Fire or Rapid Fire etc"

That's the theory, in practice most shouted commands cannot be heard in battle or the troops pretend they cannot hear them if it involves placing themselves in undue danger. Most combat units tend to evolve a system of signals that do not rely on verbal comms to control simple things in battle such as whistle blasts of bugle calls.

aixs should read axis..Dohh!

[ September 27, 2002, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Pacestick ]