Best Laid Plans /aka/ The Curse Of Wretch

Where's Dyvim Tvar? I need his testimony on this one.

You see, he knows of... the curse.

Flash of thunder, wolf howls, dramatic stab of orchestral music.

When I was born, some evil witch must have covered me in salt, doused me in black cat's blood and pushed me under a row of ladders while smashing mirrors and screaming "Lady Luck's a whore!".

My luck in matters of random chance is terrible. Ghastly.

You know how in some comedy films there's always this one guy who nothing goes right for trudging along in the background, and when something bad's about to happen to the lead character, by some sadistic twist of fate it happens to the other guy?

That's what I feel like sometimes.

Take today for example, and my last session of CMBB.

My platoon leader's HQ was eliminated by the first burst from an MG42 HMG at 600M.

A single panzerfaust tore through the front upper hull of my KV-IS heany flame tank and took it out.

My men crapped themselves and crawled 150M across open ground to hide behind a little townhouse that was sheltering my DvShK 12.7mm gunner.

My T-34, despite having 99% to hit, and 'excellent' to kill, was unable to take out an armoured car.

This kind of thing happens all the time.

Anyone else feel cursed?

Edited:Fixed typos

[ November 13, 2002, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Wretch ]

YES! YES! EXACTLY! I'M A RED-CLAD CREWMAN! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN!!!

Jeez, if I had a fiver for everytime i'd taken a figurative phaser bolt for the metaphorical Captain Kirk, I'd be typing this on a supercomputer that rivalled NASA.

God dammit!

Just tried again, playing 'Cemetary Hill' mission as Soviets.

1. Mortars refuse to fire at enemy

2. First AT gun fires 120 seconds worth of shells at an armoured car (51% to hit, Good to kill). Hits once, shell ricochets. Target turns round and knocks gun out with one shot.

3. Vital squad gets pinned in the middle of a road after suffering a single burst from a rifle squad. Takes no casualties, but stays there for EIGHT TURNS.

4. Troops push each other over about in effort to fit 22 men in one small house.

5. Enemy MG42 resists 13 turns worth of REALLY HEAVY concentrated fire.

6. Unit assaulting previously mention armoured car 20M away takes 8 casualtes in two seconds.

Eventually, though, sheer rage aided me in using the remaining AT gun to nail two armoured cars and inflict several infantry casualties, earning pride of place in my heart as 'Least Disappointing Russian'

Oh, well. Suppose someone has to make everyone else look good.

[Worship Michael Emrys]

[/Worship Michael Emrys]

Originally posted by Wretch:

God dammit!

Just tried again, playing 'Cemetary Hill' mission as Soviets.

1. Mortars refuse to fire at enemy

2. First AT gun fires 120 seconds worth of shells at an armoured car (51% to hit, Good to kill). Hits once, shell ricochets. Target turns round and knocks gun out with one shot.

3. Vital squad gets pinned in the middle of a road after suffering a single burst from a rifle squad. Takes no casualties, but stays there for EIGHT TURNS.

4. Troops push each other over about in effort to fit 22 men in one small house.

5. Enemy MG42 resists 13 turns worth of REALLY HEAVY concentrated fire.

6. Unit assaulting previously mention armoured car 20M away takes 8 casualtes in two seconds.

Eventually, though, sheer rage aided me in using the remaining AT gun to nail two armoured cars and inflict several infantry casualties, earning pride of place in my heart as 'Least Disappointing Russian'

Oh, well. Suppose someone has to make everyone else look good.

[Worship Michael Emrys]

[/Worship Michael Emrys]

Ah, man! With your kind of luck you'd better stay away from flying lessons!

:D

Michael

P.S. Have you considered playing the Germans instead?

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Ah, Wretch. The lad in a red uniform in the Star Trek of Life...

Refresh my memory...what's the hubbub about these red uni folks?</font>

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Ah, Wretch. The lad in a red uniform in the Star Trek of Life...

Refresh my memory...what's the hubbub about these red uni folks?</font>

There was an episode of South Park where the bus broke down. Before the driver went for help she told the kids that if they left the bus a monster would get them.

Sure enough the little kid in the red shirt didn't believe her...

The "red shirt" phenomena was also sent up in Galaxy Quest - as was the entire original Star Trek for that matter.

Ha!

Spend half an hour carefully plotting a truck convoy so they will smoothly and gracefully negotiate a twisting road to safety. Congratulate yourself for remembering to apply PAUSE judiciously.

Your opponent's armoured car gets a freaky LOS from a hill for about three seconds... One 20 mm burst results in a pile-up ready to be slaughtered at will...

...and I'm loving every bloody minute.

Zak

Originally posted by Joques:

"Zakalwe", correct me if I'm wrong, but that's outta an Ian Banks novel, right?

Close enough, it's from "Use of Weapons". To be pedantic, it's Iain M, Banks when he's writing SF, the mainstream stuff is just plain Iain Banks. (Either way he's quite brilliant.)

Zak

Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nippy:

You aren't the only one:

I forgot to plan my pre-set Arty Missions

After that, 2 of my 3 recon tanks bogged

Next, 5 SU-76s lost a medium range fire fight with a Conscript Stug IV

Then a Panther showed up...

You should have added then Locusts!!!, for good measure. :D </font>