I just sent this email to the CMBO people

Yes. And its not just the BFC who are the underdogs - we are underdogs right in here with them. The Grognards.

And don't we know it. SSI got totally chewed up, digested and spit out to (eventually) Ubi, Three Sixty was simply commercially put against the wall and shot, Talonsoft is enslaved by Take 2 and Atomic - well we've already discussed Atomic but lets just remember that they were once what the BFC is now (V for Victory), and signing up for Microsoft marked the start of the end to that. Etc. Seems to me only BFC, SSG and HPS remain.

"Consumer interest is directed towards large budget graphic products beyond the capacity of the SSI" * wrote their president on the homepage while still their president.

A leading representative of Three Sixty, when still in existence, wrote "there are simply not enough grognards, and besides you're getting fewer every year" in a personal letter to a friend of mine (who also posts here).*

So now you know.

If you are a grognard and you thought were a consumer you were wrong, you are not.

A huge ball of ten billion teens are rolling all over you - they have no income but yet it is they who are the consumers now, and they want GTA.

Be nice to other grognards as they are apparently dying off at an alarming rate.

And yes, buy BFC products. Or if you will, haggle the price, debate the content, take part in development, then buy it. You don't have to wear whites and sing praise, not even smile in reassurance.

Myself I will just nod once, firmly, and show the teen at the desk the game and say 'see, I still count, now carefully watch me consume'.

And I'll feel pleased too. Because I am obviously not the future of software industry. Not the great promise of economic independence in the hopeful hearts of growing programmers. I am part of a already small and yet waning consumer minority, and if the BFC, SSG and HPS go down, I will spend the rest of my PC days stealing cars and beating prostitutes to death with a bat in GTA.

Regards

Dandelion

PS. Yes I know I'm a dino and have no problem at all with it.

PPS If I had started the topic, I'd have phrased it 'where have you gone [Gary Grigsby], a [community] turns its lonely eyes to you'.

* Qouotes from memory and liable to be faulty in some detail or other, but certainly not in meaning.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree more with the quality, or lack of, rather, in a lot games. I was one of those poor suckers that snatched up Ghost Recon when it first came out..talk about pure frustration! :mad: Even after all the "patches" and "fixes" from UBI, I ended up saying to hell with it and deleted the thing from my PC. :rolleyes:

Now, please understand that CMBO and CMBB frustrate the hell out me as well, but in a good way. :confused: .in that these games are so well made that my frustration is a function/result of my tactical ineptitude :eek: ...NOT due to game bugs.

The strange thing about companies like Ubi Soft is they can crank out loads of dung and then come up with a gem like Ghost Recon (actually I like the whole series from Rainbow all the way through). One of the only FPS games I can take seriously.

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the efforts of anyone who dedicates themselves to creating a quality product in this land of nauseating FPS madness. Hopefully there will always be a place in the world for those of us who see what this medium truly has to offer. Sometimes I even believe the grogs are justified in so vehemently attacking us tourists for making uninformed and unrealistic suggestions. Sometimes. tongue.gif

[ September 06, 2003, 05:03 AM: Message edited by: Cabron66 ]