Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Is anyone else concerned abou the human wave?

Schaff

I think the use of the human wave tactic is a great example of how Battlefront is using excellent historical accuracy in their gaming. HOWEVER, in playing the demo, I am certainly not eager to select huge numbers of “green” or “conscript” soldiers and attempt to give them orders.

I generally use the “+” and “-“ keys to give orders to each and every unit. As I’m imagining many others also do. Trying to deal with giving a very large number of “broken”, “panicked” or “all out scared sh*tless” troops orders will not be enjoyable. I may just ask the ability to use a Russian commander to machinegun down those Russian troops who will not fight. That would also follow historical accuracy and eliminate my need to bother with them.

I hope most all of the scenarios are designed with tactical excellence, as was evident in CMBO. The wave will be as tedious as it is now in sports stadiums around the United States.

Any thoughts????

tongue.gif

Double-clicking on the HQ unit will select all 'active' units (excepting panicked or worse moral states). You can then issue orders en masse.

Equally, dragging a box around the units you are after will select all of them, again excepting all 'useless' morale states. Orders can then be given en masse to all selected units

Remember, not all troops in the full game are going to be conscripts!

That being said, even crack troops won't much enjoy human wave assaults (CAN crack troops do Human Wave in the game?) across 400m of open ground into the teeth of mgs. Human wave seems to work prety well crossing shorter distances (from factor building to factory building across a city boulevard?) Human Wave seems to actually DECREASE the chance of breaking for the few moments it's actually happening, you get a bit a morale boost. This is one of those new commands that's going to take a little finesse to get right.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

This is one of those new commands that's going to take a little finesse to get right.

It's a good thing the demo lets us practice this before we get the real thing. IIRC, the troops don't actually start running until they get within 80 meters of their destination. They walk before that. I would think it would be best to hold off on giving the command until your troops are as close as they can safely get. It will obviously be easier to use the human wave in terrain with limited LOS as opposed to open steppe.