What to mod?? Any suggestions?

I figured they shared so many elements once you sorted out the @#% Running Gear it wouldn't be a big deal (yeah, right). Trying to do everything on seperate, non-overlapping Layers (yikes!) so one can add or subtract a few Rivets, put a Paint Scheme under it, & hit the "Do Mod" button, or something like that.

If you have any more tips concerning the 'Dark side' please do tell. I believe you've done a couple more of these than I have. It seems to handle 'Blacks' better than 'Dark Colors', though I don;t have this sorted out yet.

And, seriously, the overall art direction & some of the individual elements in BB are just downright impressive. Thanks for that.

Strt

(spling. WHot i noticd annyway)(Twicet!)

[ October 03, 2002, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: mchlstrt ]

Originally posted by Schoerner:

What i'm still missing (also in CMBB's vehicles) is a more realistic colored/shaded/metallized look of the vehicle's surfaces.

If i have a look at the vehicles, i'm still missing depth information on the plain surfaces.

I was really amazed, when i saw Steven Burvenich's PzIV the first time, and what a great illusion of depth is possible, when using detailed shadowing/metallizing effects on parts of the BMPs.

In the game this PzIV looks even better. You have really the impression of a detailed 3dimensional object:

Schörner,

I wonder how you and other people didn't noticed that Burvenich's PzKpfw IV is just a recolorated version of my PzKpfw IV. Unfortunately it seems he didn't credit me :mad: I'm always glad to let people to do their own versions of my mods (that's the reason I usually do a mono color version of my vehicles), but I always like getting the proper credit for my work.

The shadowing was already there when Burvenich took my dark yellow Pz IV, recolorated it (a competent moder can do it in a couple of minutes) and oversprayed some dirt. Please look at the mono color versions of my PzKpfw IV, Panther G, Panther A, Puma and Ostwind/Wirbelwind. ALL surfaces are in a different shade of dark yellow.

Pumamonocolorfinal.jpg

[ October 03, 2002, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Fernando ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

[QB]Oak, that was my main goal. smile.gif I found that many of the CMBO mods were quite different from each other with regards to colouring. Although they looked great seperately, they didnt work as well together.

Do you think a difinitive "MOD Pack" for CMBO will ever be released that brings the BMPs up to a CMBB standard (terrain, similar shading/coloring of AFVs, and what can be converted from the Germans uniforms)?

I also wanted to know if a complete list of the CMBB BMPs has been released?

F,

I think that subtleties of Shading & Shadow aren't obvious to the 'untrained eye', much less the effects of different Colors (Hmmm, have to add an 'Auto Color Correction' feature to the 'Do Mod' button. Dang, this is getting complicated!). If one could switch it on & off, & change base colors from Yellow to Grey to Green there'd be a lot of "Oh, I see. good Job!".

Regarding Credits I agree it's important. Respect is very important in a loosely knit & unpaid Community like this. & 'based on this w/ some of that' gives a sense of the 'aethetic lineage'. I believe people who are newer to this, & particularly younger people who haven't had as much experience w/ matters of propriety generally, just may not think of this or realize they actually have an impact. A polite e-mail pointing this out would seem appropriate & even helpful.

You do nice Work, btw.

Strt

My last few mods I've been doing all the art in greyscale (using Photoshop), then placing the art layer over a solid color layer. I then add another layer of highlights & shadows, then flatten the image for the final bmp.

This technique really comes in handy when you've got the same vehicle to do in grey, yellow, and (captured) Russian green, and it helps keep consistency between vehicles too.

Originally posted by mchlstrt:

Regarding Credits I agree it's important. Respect is very important in a loosely knit & unpaid Community like this. & 'based on this w/ some of that' gives a sense of the 'aethetic lineage'. I believe people who are newer to this, & particularly younger people who haven't had as much experience w/ matters of propriety generally, just may not think of this or realize they actually have an impact. A polite e-mail pointing this out would seem appropriate & even helpful.

I agree with you

I let Matt know that Burnevich's mod was just a recoloration of my PzKpfw IV mod, but he hadn't credited me for using my mod. Matt told me that Mr Burnevich was sorry and he would e-mail me and Tiger (he also released a StuG based in a Tiger's one,) but I never got any e-mail from him. I don't know about Tiger.

It took me hours to do the shadowing of my PzKpfw IV and LOTS of hours to do most of the PzKpfw IV textures from scratch. I felt really upset when I saw that another person was fully credited for a work which was 95% mine and 5% his. I want to make this crystal clear.

Fernando, just because a 'borrowed' mod of yours is uncredited does not mean that it's unrecognized.

I can think of more than one Panther mod, for example, that I've downloaded and silently thanked YOU for the fine work done, and not the credited artist.

Originally posted by Manx:

Tiger,

Thats easy. Just do EVERYTHIN'!

At your peak, i know that you used to do about 3-4 quality mods a week, so you should be finished by about this time next year. ;)

BTW -- Great to see you back!

I second that! :D

Fernando,

Your monotone Panzers are excellent and always loaded into my CMBO. I'm sorry to hear you got the shaft like that, even if it was an honest mistake. I've had the same thing happen to me, although not with this game, and I know how irritated it made me, despite people telling me we were all one big happy family and to not be so uptight about it. That's little consolation when you've spent hours upon hours experimenting with texture design. Hopefully this will be rectified.

Jim

[ October 04, 2002, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: jmbunnelle ]