BTS: Single file installation procedure

Hello BTS,

I wonder if it is possible to "directly" access the single files for CMBB stored in compressed form in the big SETUP.EXE - I mean the contents of the BMP.EXE and WAV.EXE archives that are being processed during setup, containg all BMPs and WAVs. In fact, if one has installed modded graphics/sounds and want to switch back - do you have to go all the way back and do a re-install? Just to change back a single file to the default one? I really can't do a hundreds-of-megabytes backup everytime when checking out a new mod...

I'd really appreciate info on this from BTS - thank you!

Good question!

It was trivial with CM:BO to reinstall BMPs or sound files if needed because of a screwed up mod, it would be nice to be able to extract an individual file off the CM:BB CD if needed rather than do a reinstall and trash any other mods you might have. Or is this a price we pay for LOTS more content? smile.gif

- Old Dog

Well, now I'm confused...

The latest version of WinRAR (v3.00) won't open the SETUP.EXE file ("No archives found in selected file and folder"). Maybe I should mention that I got the German version of CMBB distributed by CDV.

There is one huge SETUP.EXE file on the CD-ROM that is processed by Install Shield during installation. It first unpacks HD.EXE, then BMP.EXE followed by WAV.EXE - which are subsequently being uncompressed and contain the respective single files. Finally, the scenario files and miscellaneous stuff are extracted.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Any further help is very much appreciated. smile.gif

Yeah, I don't know what CDV is using to compress their installer. Since it brings up InstallSheild, it is an entirely different setup from the BFC distributed version (which is just a self-extracting RAR archive that extracts to a directory structure).

You may have to contact CDV's support and ask them which archive utility will extract the files individually.

My experience with WinRAR is that even if you only choose one file, it chaecks every file in the exe file. This takes just as long as re-installing.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Yeah, I don't know what CDV is using to compress their installer. Since it brings up InstallSheild, it is an entirely different setup from the BFC distributed version (which is just a self-extracting RAR archive that extracts to a directory structure).

You may have to contact CDV's support and ask them which archive utility will extract the files individually.