What!? NOOOOO

Right, but i think that would need quite some additional coding by the two programmers.... :rolleyes:

The list of desires could be enlarged for engineers:

- Engieers should be able to be tasked to actively search for mines and clear a path through them (rather to clear them altogether)...

this was actually achieved by special explosives (damn, forgot the name, but it can be seen in the "Private Ryan" film)

- Houses should be able to be "Booby trapped" (You buy Booby traps during unit purchase), adds tremendous suspense when entering houses prior under enemy control...

- To create more realistic scenarios tanks should be able to ford certain rivers ( Additional terrain "Tank ford") with some probabilty (Editable by Scenario designer) to bog down to simulate nondeep waters.

- Engieers should be able to be tasked to actively search for mines and clear a path through them (rather to clear them altogether)...

this was actually achieved by special explosives (damn, forgot the name, but it can be seen in the "Private Ryan" film)

You're thinking of bangalore torpedos.

Originally posted by TSword:

Right, but i think that would need quite some additional coding by the two programmers.... :rolleyes:

Best not to speak on matters you don't have knowledge of. Something that might seem simple to us could be a bear to program, which is why many of the suggestions we make can't be implentmented. CM is a finished game anyway, and there aren't going to be any updates. Besides, with CM:BB so close it's not worth to throw that project off schedule for such a minor issue.

On the subject specifically, mine clearing operations and clearing roadblocks are out of the scope of CM anyway, which only focuses on the tactical battles. Those sort of things were typically done when the action was over, not the lead was flying around.

Originally posted by RCHRD:

At Kursk, the Germans had no choice but to clear minefields while the lead was flying around.

Exactly, but in CM you do have a choice, and on that scale its so much easier just to go around. Imagine a company commander calling back to battalion commander, "Sir, our advance has stalled because we've run into a small minefield. The terrain on either side is clear and open, but I've chosen to sit my company here and wait for the anti-mine Shermans and metal detectors." *twiddles thumbs for 4 hours while the divisions' mine clearing elements are diverted and finally arrive*

Hmm...

Q: What do you have when you put some TNT in a large, interlocked pile of felled trees (aka a typical WWII roadblock)?

A: A large, non-interlocked pile of felled trees that you still need a bulldozer to remove.

WWB

Originally posted by jeffsmith:

I seem to recall using Engineers to clear mines in CM

Must have been dreaming

Yeah, you can clear mines once they're detected. It requires a demo charge - basically this models "blowing" a path through the minefield. The acutal complete clearing of a minefiled (i.e., by sweeping with metal detectors and digging up all the mines) is not modeled - this would take much too much time to be relevant to a CM battle. What you can't do is issue a command to a unit (engineer or otherwise) to *search* for mines in a likely location, either with a metal detector, or by other means, such as probing the ground with knives, or just looking for signs of recent digging.

I suppose a "search for mines" command would be of some use - sometimes the nature of a map means that you can make a good guess about where mines are likely to be. On the CM scale most of the time I think sending my engineering units wandering around the map looking for mines would be a waste of time and men. Searching for mines is a slow, painstaking process. If it's a matter of checking one critical intersection so my Panzers can roll through, sure. Otherwise, I'll just look for an alternate route.

The booby trapping idea is interesting, but most of the WWII era booby traps I have read about were designed to catch souviner-seekers and patrols in unheld areas long after the firefight had moved on. I'm sure there were booby traps used by both sides that were designed to go off in an actual tactical situation, but I don't think it was very common.

In any event, it would be easy to simulate such a booby trap using the current CM engine - all that would be required is the ability to place a minefield in a building. The effect would be basically the same as if the building had been trapped. Actually, I'm just assuming that you can't do this already. I've never seen it in a scenario, but I've also never actively tried to place a minefield in a building.

And I agree that removing roadblocks is something that is beyond CM's scope 99% of the time. Maybe if you're playing a really long scenario it might be tactically feasible. Otherwise, I really doubt the time and resources could be brought to bear. Eventually, it might be interesting to give scenario designers two kinds of Roadblocks: "light" roadblocks designed to represent a couple of trees or similar hurriedly thrown over the road, and clearable by engineers with a demo charge (repesenting blowing the debris into smaller pieces and clearing the pieces by grunt power); and "heavy" roadblocks, representing a roadblock too substantial to be removed over the course of a single CM battle.

Cheers,

YD