Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Doodads and rocky ground

Anyone besides me paying any attention to the new terrain in the CMBB demo?

Looks like ROCKY has been added to types of terrain, placeable either on steppe or on open ground. Unlike rough, rocky allows AFV movement, but looks similar. Nice addition that will open up the scenario maker for a bit more variation and realism. Wonder what other new types are in the full game. Anyone on the beta team care to comment?

Also... what happened to the tall grass on open ground that shows up in some of Matt's "Bone" screenshots? In the screenshots it looks like the steppe doodad except green, but in the demo it appears to have been replaced with very occasional little tufts of grass. The taller grass looks nice in the screenshots, and I'm wondering whether the tall grass is maybe seasonal and will show up part of the time, is regional, and only shows up in a certain region (i.e. related to the little map on the interface), or was simply replaced in the gold demo. Again, can beta peeps comment?

Not complaining, I really love the visual improvement that the terrain confers (This is one HOT lookin' wargame!), just curious and (like lots of other folks) examining the demo to death while waiting for my copy of the full game.

- Old Dog

Originally posted by Old Dog:

Looks like ROCKY has been added to types of terrain, placeable either on steppe or on open ground. Unlike rough, rocky allows AFV movement, but looks similar.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that one too. Can anyone tell us anything about that? What effects does it have. It appears to me that tanks slow down when passing through them. Are they more subject to bogging or breaking down? How do they effect personnel units? Their movement? Cover?

Michael

[ September 08, 2002, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Old Dog:

Looks like ROCKY has been added to types of terrain, placeable either on steppe or on open ground. Unlike rough, rocky allows AFV movement, but looks similar.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that one too. Can anyone tell us anything about that? What effects does it have. It appears to me that tanks slow down when passing through them. Are they more subject to bogging or breaking down? How do they effect personnel units? Their movement? Cover?

Michael</font>

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I believe grass changes color based on several

variables:

Season

Elevation

Region

Percentage of tree cover in the scenario map.

DO NOT underestimate the guys at Battlefront.com. They are cleverer than you, they are cleverer than me.

;)

Ahh, MikeyD, you bring a smile to my lips.

*looks at calendar again wondering why September 20 is taking SO long to get here*

- Old Dog

Originally posted by jagcommander:

I found out about the rocky terrain the hard way, One of my Mark IIIs was immobilized by it. It's hard to spot, especially when you don't know about it or expect it to be there.

Yeah, I've decided that it's best to be careful when plotting movement for your tanks to keep them off rocky ground unless that entails doing something even more stupid. At least avoid ripping over it at fast speed. Maybe I am being excessively cautious, but until I know better...

Michael