Newbies Post Your Tourney AARs Here!!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's mt AAR for Blood and Steel(AI):

Lots of Blood and Lots of Steel.

Managed a 50-50 draw

It was basically over for me by turn 55 since I had no more armor to fight the advancing axis tanks. :(

As far as my laptop went, the crunch time for turns weren't too bad smile.gif

I sent the last turn of this battle to SuperTed so he could review the results.

I now HATE JPzIV's

Rob W

Originally posted by DD_Rob:

Well here's mt AAR for Blood and Steel(AI):

Lots of Blood and Lots of Steel.

Managed a 50-50 draw

It was basically over for me by turn 55 since I had no more armor to fight the advancing axis tanks. :(

As far as my laptop went, the crunch time for turns weren't too bad smile.gif

I sent the last turn of this battle to SuperTed so he could review the results.

I now HATE JPzIV's

Rob W

Rob,

Hey, a 50-50 score against the AI is hard to accomplish as a scenario designer. It sounds like this one is dead on. smile.gif

Here is my AAR for the scenario I played against Bobbaro. The name of the scenario was "Give and Take."

Denny's came under attack by what appeared to be Canadians who wanted the restaurant chain to open in their country. Well, they chose the wrong crowd to anger. As patrons came pouring (well, they were actually shuffling rather slowly) out of the restaurant, reinforcements were called.

The initial silver-haired warriors were told to slow the advancing marauders from the north while defensive positions could be established behind them. The frontline boys (uh, that's a stretch) displayed great heroism, only needing one nap during the course of the battle.

As the battle raged, one tour bus after another deposited reinforcements nearby. After much grumbling and several precious minutes spent sorting out walkers, dentures, and panzerfausts, they made their way forward to join their comrades holed up in Denny's.

The pesky Canadians pushed hard and sent their best troops, but they did not expect to meet the wrath of Denny's Best! Today, much blood was spilled on both sides, but what will be remembered was that Denny's remains free (of Canadians) today because of the bravery shown by of the near-fanatical defenders on that day.

AAR Give & Take

Walker (CAN) v Hawk (GER)

Well um it’s never that much fun to write an AAR on a lost battle…

In my first mail to Hawk I wrote I wanted either a glorious win or a

calamitous loss. And what a calamity it turned out to be. First

snow battle, first real village action…excuses excuses!

Anyway, the Canadians advanced eeever so slooowly into the village

with the first platoon on the scene, and got ambushed by a Volkssturm

squad on the second floor of a heavy building, which resulted in the

Canadians losing one half-squad and 7/10ths of a full squad, which

in turn put the brakes on any further advance until reinforcements arrived.

After 20 minutes all was in place for the final assault, having cleared out

a few buildings with the incredible Badger flamethrower (nice piece of kit

that; probably the best FT vehicle on offer, considering its armour

protection and price…).

Then the arty spotter was ordered to lay down a nice dense smokescreen

to cover the final advance. This was not forthcoming, the smoke dropped

everywhere except where it was supposed to, and postponing the attack

for a minute more of smoke did nothing to alleviate the problem. In fact,

the smoke was more of a nuisance than a benefit, blocking the LOS

of the Sherman and the Badger.

This lack of a screen necessitated a dumb-dumb-dumb (=brainless)

suicide attack on the four VL buildings. The German commander

had set up a good defence, with his platoons nicely positioned in and

around the VL. The outcome was predictable – the Canadians were wiped out.

So the final score was *mumble* to *mumble* (it’s too painful…). Congratulations

to Hawk, who managed his troops 100% better than I did.

So what did I learn? Well, a couple of things:

- Sometimes you have to move fast from the start to save losses later.

- Moving fast in snow means using the roads

- Well-handled conscript troops can pack a punch (ouch!)

- The badger is a cool piece of equipment

- Smokescreens don’t work that well in villages

- Positioning troops in buildings is an art

- Roadblocks don’t give cover

Well done Hawk and I hope to give you a better game in our current battle!

Chris Walker

AAR Give & Take

Silvio Manuel (CAN) v DStone (GER)

Well, one Conscript platoon in the center of a village. Promised

reinforcements. What the hell do I do now?

Wait. March three companies of Conscripts all the way across the

snowy map. Hope they get there in time. 15 minutes without sighting

a Canadian. Most of two companies up the left side, taking positions

in the church across the street from the VL, or in the buildings two

streets away. One company up the right, taking positions to the rear

of the VLs with fire lanes up the main road. Two platoons to the VL,

one inside the complex, one hiding behind. A flamethrower vehicle

hiding behind the VL as well. One platoon advancing to the front,

getting as far as the woods one street in front of the VL.

And then the storm appears on the horizon. Advancing Canadians (who

knew they'd be Elite!!) carefully advancing to the outer edge of

buildings. Conscripts start to run at the drop of a hat. Little

victories ... one squad sticks around for TWO turns laying down fire.

And then the storm really begins. Artillery fire all over my left.

Three platoons run never to be seen again. Little victories ... one

squad holds out and the platoon in the lead building on the left

holds out.

Then a victory. Four squads holding a building on the left, two at

the front corners of the building, two at the back. The Canadians

quickly deal with the front squads and advance across the street into

the building. Where they are rudely surprised (and wiped out) by the

SMGs of the two squads in the back. As a newbie, my first successful

application of tactics in any CM game anywhere.

And then ... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? A flamethrower tank on my right

shows up from nowhere and clears out a building. Conscripts run.

Everywhere. Two squads loaded with Panzerfausts and a 40m clear LOS

run without shooting. Soon the front two buildings of the VL are on

fire. Conscripts run.

Two Canadian platoons gathered in a couple of buildings on the left.

Let's get stupid and greedy. Send out the German flamethrower

halftrack to flame them before dying. Or maybe just come out from

behind the building and get knocked out before getting anywhere.

Good plan.

Then another victory. In the aftermath, three canadian squads head

out into the street, hoping to avoid fire from the two LMGs they see

and take the VL. But the two front buildings are on fire, so they

have to go behind. Where they run into the other surprise ... the

platoon hiding behind the building ... short-range SMG fire wipes

them out too.

Last act. The Sherman and the Badger head around my right to get

into my rear, heading for the back side of the VL. My one remaining

Panzerschrek team runs out of hiding, around two buildings, and tries

to get in the way ... does so ... points at the badger ... and gets

flamed. Badger flames last two buildings at the VL. Conscripts run.

Final score 38-38 with the VL uncontrolled.

So I had no idea what to do with the mass of Conscripts. Figuring

that they'd only be good for short-range firefights (due to good SMG

numbers and *very* low staying power), I tried to position them at

the backside of buildings or behind buildings. Don't let them see

the enemy and they won't run. As described above, this worked in a

couple of cases. Mostly they are only good for running away and

cluttering up the map, but hey, I had *lots* of them. I actually

thought I knew what I was doing until that flamethrower tank showed

up. After that, I thought I was doomed.

Silvio Manuel played very carefully until the last few turns. The

only dent I made in him was the squad I wiped out on the left. Then,

with the game on the line, I still had just enough left to punish him

when he tried to take the VL. But only barely. Another turn and

there wouldn't have been an unrouted German anywhere near the center

of the map. As it was, there were only a couple left.

A *fun* situation. Conscripts against Elite. I liked it. Just

don't stick me with the Conscripts ever again.

Don Stone

Originally posted by Ligur:

Hey Ted, send me Blood & Steel. It sounds like a fun armored battle. I wanna give it a shot with someone or mebbe the AI even, with some bonus to it.

Ligur,

If you can find a playmate, I'll send the PBEM version. If not, I'll send the AI version. Either way, all I ask is that you provide feedback for me.

AAR Give and Take

Ligur (Allied) vs Jim Liang (Old Men in Hats)

So! A village with an important crossroads, and some toothless old cronies the guys from my platoon captured claimed it was crawling with crack troops. Pondering this, I drank some schnapps the nice farmer girls from the last town offered us. I truly wonder if Sgt. Whitman really did get some of their even better offerings during the night like he claims.

-Excerpt from the The Memoirs of Ltn. Smithson

During that awful day a Canadian company of seasoned veterans took control of a small village west of Xante, but with a surprising cost. It went more or less like follows. I should think less.

Ltn. Smithson lead his platoon around the first larger building they came upon, and took notice of a large block placed on the road leading to the village. Maybe it was defended after all? And it was. Immediately upon entering the buildiing, the platoon was fired upon, but a few shots from an Enfield rifle drove the defenders to the street. Climbing the second floor, the squad was fired upon by a panzerfaust! Two men injured and the rest coated in plaster and dusted cement!

The platoon spread to wait for the rest of the company, and started aquiring targets from the E and SE parts of the town quickly. It was immediately obvious the town was defended by a surprisingly large force, but the defending unit showed a lack of determination and experience, moving and taking position slowly and running away when under fire.

Taking potshots at cranky old men in civilian clothes (who still fired back once in a while), Smithson's platoon took a comfortable position around the large building in the NW part of the town and waited for the two other platoons from the company to arrive, which they did, dripping in and around Smithson's positions during the next 15 minutes. Since targets were a plenty, and some light artillery was available, Captain Arrow, one of the late arrivals to the scene, ordered a light barrage on and behind the buildings occupied by the enemy. A lone Sherman arrived with Captain Arrow to fire on dug in enemies and was deployed to the front at once.

The men were tired after the march in the snow, and having to dart around in fear of getting accidentally hit wasn't improving their state any, so Cpt. Arrow ordered Ltn. Landry's platoon to relieve Smithson's for a nice moment with some warm brew. The men boiled tea and sipped schnapps. Smithson's platoon had, by just the volume of fire during the few minutes before the Sherman got into place, suffered a bunch of wounded who were now treated and served with warm drink. The 3" mortars allotted to Arrow kept on lobbing grenades near and behind the enemy with an easy pace, just to remind them a war was, indeed, still going on.

After tea had been served and the men had a few minutes of rest, Cpt. Arrow promptly ordered the rest of his company, now in good spirits, to take positions alongside Landry's platoon and get ready for a quick rush at the center of the town so they might end this nonsense. Worried, Ltn. Landy reported a steady increase in the volume of fire coming from the E and SE. It appeared as if the Germans were getting reinforcements? A Badger flame tank had rolled into town, and moving the Sherman and Badger due east, Arrow ordered a short advance. The fire poured on his men was indeed increasing, and spotting a platoon of grey haired men with rifles and canes to the east, the Badger moved in and under infantry cover sprouted gouts of searing flame, boiling the snow, setting fire to buildings and leaving behind tiny, blackened mummies. A church to the SE had a constant feature of rifles pointing from the windows, but the Sherman along with the third platoon under MacMillan drove them repeatedly away.

Arrow ordered a short smoke mission in the center of the town, and with everthing ready, rushed to capture his objective, the large group of buildings in the center.

The target was reached easily but bullets were streaking along the street, and smoke cover or not, several men were wounded during the short assault.

Opening the window shutters and doors in the buildings, the company spread into position, with the Sherman and the Badger rolling to a stop by the church... A fearsome site greeted Arrow and his men. Ltn. Landry counted at least two companies worth of infantry behind corners at the SE woods, the church and several buildings to the east, supported by a halftrack that disappeared behind the church, due south. A storm of bullets erupted, MGs, SMGs and rifles firing. Fausts exploded on the buildings, shrapnel and bits of furniture flying everywhere. Arrow was losing men.

Arrow ordered the mortars to continue with a normal mission, firing HE grenades all over the east side of the town, and despite protests from the crews, sent the Badger and Sherman to engage from close range. The Badger drove near buildings, shooting and starting fires, with the Sherman lobbing HE rounds and MG fire to several directions at the same time, including the halftrack that was streaking in, possibly looking to start fires of its own.

The savage firefight continued for minutes, and the Canadiens were running low on ammo, with wounded being piled to a large yard in the middle of the town center. No more brew time. The Badger received small arms fire and a bullet grazed an eye off the commander who was peeking from a slit, and the flame tank promptly withdrew from combat. Several attempts were made by the Germans to assault Arrows position, but the bad physical health combined with nervousness and inexperience thwarted the attempts of the German commander. Luckily for the now battered Canadians, the German forces were unable to mount a serious counter-attack, and after one near success, were forced to retreat after the encounter had lasted almost 30 minutes.

-----------------------------------------

Phew, one more attack that made the buildings might have ended that badly for me. A few squads with ammo and even some staying power would have made the day for Jim in the end... Luckily, my Sherman was able to fight in close quarters (Jim's men fired their fausts at my infantry all the time, and the shreck was an equally bad shot...) and open on any concentrations with HE ammo, and my elite guys had tremendous staying power; All the squads had only 1-5 men still fighting at the end and about no ammo.

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SuperTed:

Only 101 days until World Cup 2002 begins...

Hey Ted, you're a Nascar fan? Wait a second, World Cup? What the hell is a World Cup? Must be one of those sick, weird, tourney-director thingies. tongue.gif </font>

Originally posted by SuperTed:

I suspect there will be some good AARs for Give and Take arriving soon...

Well, I can't wait for the good AARs, so I'll go ahead with my own for Give & Take.

When I saw my setup as the German, my first thought was "This won't last 10 turns." ONE platoon of conscripts + a LMG and they're already SHAKEN?? And because of Ted's weird setup areas, only 1 squad and the MG are within command range of the HQ. To defend a whole town against attack from the north and the west? This must be some kind of sick joke! :mad:

My first thought is to pull the squads back to a more central position. Only problem is, it would take 2 minutes before they moved. Too long. So everybody hides. This leads to Splash's fateful error, where I think the battle got away from him. One of his squads immediately comes hustling around the big heavy building NW of the center of town. My hidden squad in the light building across the road opens up at 58 meters, causing casualties. His squad ducks into the heavy building, where my other hidden squad fires downstairs at 20 meters and wipes it out.

The rest of his men break off and move east, to the small buildings at the NE corner of town. With all the reinforcements I get by turn 10, I'm able to use 3 platoons to isolate these men and keep them away from the big battle for the rest of the scenario. This firefight lasts the entire length of the scenario, as I gradually push him back to the north.

Meanwhile, over near the VL, platoon B is nervously hiding and hoping nothing else happens. I tried making my first reinforcements run, and that was a big mistake in the snow. They got Tired and even Weary very quickly. I had them stop until they were Ready. So everybody else just moved toward the center of town, and they stayed Rested. I also kept the platoons close together, so the squads did not get out of command range.

On turn 9, I spotted infantry in the trees to the northwest of town. Platoon B kept hiding & praying for help. Finally on turn 11 my first reinforcements reached the buildings at the VL. They entered the buildings and hid.

On turn 13, a tank appeared to the northwest and smoke rounds started falling in the town. Splash immediately routed both B platoon squads at the roadblock, and for sheer spite he also flattened the light building. He missed catching a squad and B platoon HQ in the building by seconds. As it is, my defense in depth to the northwest has evaporated. The buildings around the VL have become the front line. The smoke barrage gets thicker. We keep hiding.

By turn 16 the Canadian infantry is in the heavy building to the northwest, at the roadblock. My first reinforcements reach the church, giving the B platoon squad stationed there a lift. I decided to send some troops to the heavy building across the road west of the church. Two squads wait in the trees south of the church before running across the road.

And then what appears? A Canadian dragon, setting fire to a house across from the church, trying to burn the church, and finally torching the house south of the church. It fires directly over my two squads waiting in the trees. Lucky for them it has such a long range. ;) With the distraction of the flamethrower, the squads run across the road. They also must have damaged the thing (Badger?), because it retreated and was out of the battle - thankfully!

Splash has massed his uberCanadians in the trees just across the road west of the VL. I've got troops in the four buildings at the VL, in the church, in the trees east of the church, and in the heavy building across the road west of the church. The volume of fire is appalling. Then my nice German flag at the VL turns to a gray question mark. This looks grim.

Finally, the sheer volume of German fire is too much for the Canadians. They begin to run out of the trees to the west, away from the VL. By the end of the battle they are all back away from the VL, and my German flag is back.

Our result was a major Axis victory. I had 82 German casualties (18 KIA) versus Splash's 78 Canadian casualties (16 KIA). The problem for him was I still had 247 men left, versus his forty-something. The overwhelming numbers turned the trick. I lost 1 platoon HQ, 1 panzerschreck, and 3 LMG units eliminated. Everyone else was still more or less battle-ready.