Any of you have an ATI 9700?

With the recent news that the GeForce5 may be delayed until spring... I'm actually thinking of trying that ATI card.

Problem though is for years I've seen the utter torment ATI cardholders have had because of poorly written drivers.

So, do any of you have this?

Does FSAA work in CMBB with it?

Is performance and graphic quaility really that great over the G4 TI4600?

I really appreciate any feedback you may have. Thanks.

[ October 25, 2002, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: japinard ]

Off your case but I've used Radeon DDR 64 VIVO since it was the hottest ATI and have had no problems with it whatsoever!

I'm really curious what is the problem with everybody else. Maybe because I'm still using the good old win98? Or is it just these new cards and drivers? Anyway I wouldn't hesitate to buy ATI.

I'm a Radeon 9700 owner and I must say I'm very impressed with the card itself and the drivers from Ati. I'm a former Nvidia user and I was nervous about making the switch but so far I have had no stability problems with my 9700 and WinXP.

I have not experienced a single BSOD, CTD, random reboot, or any lockup since purchasing a 9700. The drivers I'm using (6193) are rock solid.

However, the one snag I've noticed so far is that anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering don't work with either of the Combat Mission games. Both AA and AF work perfectly with all of my other games that I threw at it except for CMBO and CMBB. Go figure :confused:

Despite that minor problem I highly recommend the card. It hauls ass!

I had the 9700 and fog wouldn't work at all. Are you sure FSAA doesn't work? I've tried some tests and it appears to show on mine? Of course it might just be me smile.gif

Agreed that the ATI card is the best on the market. It's certainly a lot faster than anything Nvidia is offering at the moment, but I wanted fog desperately so I sold it and got myself a 4600.

Hmmm, well we have both the latest drivers from ATI and NVidia for the latest video cards, and FSAA and AF do not work in CM(I know BTS has always pointed the finger at the video card) - so I now suspect it cannot be BOTH ATI's AND Nvidia's fault FSAA and AF do not work in CMBB and CMBO.

For myself too, I have no problems in any other game runnig FSAA and AF.

[ October 25, 2002, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: japinard ]

Said it before will repeat it.

it is NOT the code. Proof?

If you use the 30.82 driver, fsaa on the nvidia works absolutely well. Nvidia changed something in the drivers.

Table fog is ATI's fault. Proof?

The put table fog in the drivers for the Mac, but NOT in the windows drivers. Why?

Vertex fog does work, but Charles coded in table fog, since EVERY OTHER card supports it.

Don't blame the code for things it isn't responsible for.

Rune