Can we have subtitles? Please?

People have been asking to replace the voices with english. That is heresy. I want the realism!

What I really want is subtitles. Can we have subtitles? Now, that would be totally überly cool (and by cool I mean super sweet)!

Hear our plea BTS!

My thought on the subtitles is that it might clutter up the screen, though of course if they are only on the screen for the few seconds it takes to read them, that wouldn't be too bad. But in a recent game I had to turn off labels because there were so many "Abandoned" and "Knocked Out" signs all over the map it was getting hard to see anything else.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

What happens if two or more units on different parts of the map say different things at the same time? This could get confusing.

Michael

Well, you could have a separate log window that did not interfer with or be in the way of the rest of the interface. Examples include RPG games like Neverwinter Nights, and the Infinity engine, with resizable log windows. The problem with this solution is that you don't see who says what directly. But it could be solved by linking a line of text with the unit name, to a camera reposition link aka a hyperlink ***:

***3. bat 2. company 4. squad***: bla bla bla

BTW another handy feature, would be a director's camera, that automatically jumped between the hotspots in a replay turn. Granted, it would not be so useful when checking the overall progress on the battlefield, but would instead make for good 1 minute action packed mini warmovies. Naturally you would want to be able to turn it on and off. It could also be implemented through a mini-window, like in conquest: frontier wars if I am not mistaken. You use the unit window screen in the replay phase to show the hotspots.

[ October 05, 2002, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: mrbear ]

Originally posted by Panzer76:

OMG.. I can think of about a zillion other features, that would be actually useful.

Would it not be useful to be able to click on a log message and have the camera relocate instantly to the spot where your sherman has had its gun knocked out? Granted if you were playing on a very small map, it would not be a problem, but with max mapsize and scores of tanks, it could get a bit problematic. Or would one of your zillion other suggested features solve that particular problem? tongue.gif

I think it would have to be easier to JUST MOD the wav voice files with english from the Stalingrad movie.

then replace the wav files

Subtitles are IMHO almost technically impossble at this point.

I seriously doubt we will see them in a patch from BFC.

oh well

-tom w

Originally posted by Panzer76:

I want sub titles in all languages, a choice for voice overs, option for american uniforms for the russians, option for OOB, option for different viewpoints, option for sexual gratifaction during play. BTS, please fix or do somfink!

Maybe CDV could help out BFC in some areas, cause they are 'experienced' :D

[ October 05, 2002, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Foxbat ]