Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

No vehicle or ambient sound in CMBB

I'd expect ambient sounds not to be present if the Shift+S setting for sound had it turned off. However the missing vehicle noises is a bit strange since those shouldn't be considered ambient sounds.

A search turned up your previous experience with this problem, however there is no solution that seemed to have worked. This other thread about the problem seems to have indicated a solution by reinstalling CMBB. Have you applied any of the patches yet (though none of them address a specific sound issue like yours to my recollection) ?

Is your hardware setup still (with some possible minor changes):

My system:

PC Pentium II 450 mb 128 mb ram

3fx Voodoo 3 16 mb memory

Windows 98 Direct X 8

Sound Blaster Creative Ensoniquic 9x driver

resolution 1024x768 ?

This is what I tried:

Went into Wav file.. discovered several files that will not play. Some of these are:

000200 to 000211 series

000300 to 000312 series

There may be others as well.

I find no sound problems in AK

My BB version is 1.03 is there a later one?

I had an upgrade awhile back. New configuration:

Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80 GHz

512MB Ram

Windows XP

What is your sound card and what drivers do you have loaded ? What is your speaker 'configuration' ? Is it setup for just two speakers or is it a setting with more speakers ? Admittedly since the other games are working this seems to be a more localized problem with the files in CMBB, however they should all work unless they got corrupted when they were written to disk.

The sounds that don't 'play', what do you attempt to play them back with and do you get any sort of error attempting to play them back (other than no sound) ?

1.03 is the latest version of CMBB. Maybe you should just delete the install and reinstall it to refresh the sound files. Hopefully that won't set you too far back if you have a lot of mods installed.

The message I get : Windows Media Player has encountered an unknown problem.

I checked more files and found that several give me this message. Actually all I seem to hear are explosions, crashes.. buildings falling down, machineguns, and gunfire plus missed shot thuds, hatches closing.

One thing I also do not hear is the opening music when the Battlefront.com splash screen comes up.. Night Bald Mountain as I recall.

I do get the explosion on Exit.

I am thinking Corrupt files now. BUT I already reinstalled the game once before contacting the forum. When I did reinstall it did not effect my upgrades. I also moved my only add ons.. out of the BMP file they were in. Then moved them back: Tracer color changes, a grass texture and some grid lines.

Now what to do... gotta go... storm with lightning is arriving here.

LT

There are several files as described above not responding. Approx 340 mb average.

"media player has encountered an unkown error" statement comes up instead of music or sound for these files. As above. Other files.. no problem.

Dont know Md5 checksum

If we just decided the files are corrupted what is the next step?

Selectivley Deaf Toad