TCP/IP Hosting on Linksys Wireless Network

Does anybody have experience hosting a TCP/IP gane while on the Linksys wirless network and router? When I try to host, CM sees the local IP address which is usless to those outisde the LAN. How do I determine

1) What is the 'outside IP address they need to contact and

2) Do I need to disable something in the firewall to allow them to connect? If so, what do I need to change in my settings?

Thanks

Jeff

Originally posted by JeffCoyle:

[...]

2) Do I need to disable something in the firewall to allow them to connect? If so, what do I need to change in my settings?

Thanks

Jeff

In addition to finding your external IP, you'll need to 'Forward' port 7023 (on the router) to your gaming machine's IP. You do it through the web-accessed Linksys administration system.

This way, when someone connects to the router, it will send the gaming packets to your computer.

edit post/port. The 7023 is correct: no other port is required.

[ February 07, 2002, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: aaronb ]

I am having the same problems with my Linksys Cable/DSL Router.

CM is only recognizing my LAN IP address and not my WAN IP address when I try an online game.

I tried the IP Forwarding as suggested and from reading my Linksys manual but when I disable the DHCP I lose all networking ability.

Sort of at a lost of what to do now.

RW

You can disable the DHCP and assign a static IP to the individual computers. I'd suggest something like 192.168.1.x.

I believe that it is also possible to forward that port to all computers with the DHCP still enabled, but that could be problematic if more than one computer is on and attempting to play another session of CM via TCP/IP. You'll have to check the HTML configuration screens for the router to see what options you have.